Total cost breakdown of a Raw recipe! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Total cost breakdown of a Raw recipe!

Just wanted to show to people a real recipe and how much it all costs. It took me about an hour and a half to make 7 lbs of food with cleanup, and that's because I had to grind all the bones by hand, not in an electric grinder or a food processor. Anyways, if you were ever curious...

Prices for the supplements are based on prices from VitaminShoppe.com as of a couple of weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 07:44 PM

that's pretty good! i'm paying 0.44 right now for nutro pouches which are 3 ounces(but that's also in canadian dollars) and only because they're on sale, they're regular 0.96, so i stocked up lol. that's great information tho! thankz!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm really interested in raw diets. How long have you been doing this? I take it you and your cats are happy with it? Any problems you've run into?

I'm curious Thanks!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
I'm really interested in raw diets. How long have you been doing this? I take it you and your cats are happy with it? Any problems you've run into?

I'm curious Thanks!
Well... I've been doing this for a week, ever since I got my guy! But I've done a lot of research for about a month prior to getting him... books, internet, groups... He also eats it up like there's no tomorrow -- guess it brings out the wild cat in him I'm pretty confident in what I'm doing... His faeces is also firm and little, which is very good and he's really active too! Whoever said Ragdolls were "calm" cats!? hehe... Anyways, do as much research as you can, read as much as you can, and make the plunge!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 PM

This weekend I'm planning on going out and getting my chicken parts and chicken liver. I'm going to blend up the chicken liver and cut up the chicken parts into bite size pieces. I ordered this product for $13 (with shipping) http://www.felinefuture.com/products/ for a months supply. My kitten went nuts for the smell alone..lol. It has everything but the meat in it. So, I'm trying raw for her. It tells you how to do it on that site (no bones in this recipe). I've had her two weeks so I think I'm ready. Just wish the Whole Foods was closer than 30 minutes drive away. Hopefully I get there this weekend!!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:46 PM

genEus I saw you said you used a hand grinder for the bones. I don't know how you do this!!

Here's a link that first introduced me to the idea of feeding raw and how good it is for cats. Here's a great site with information and pictorials about making raw food along with helpful links. http://www.catfood.catnutrition.org/

Keep in mind some recipes you follow will not use bones and some will. It's important to follow the recipe you have and not combine elements.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Don't let this secret out, but you're overpaying about $13 over the actual cost of it

The recipe that was originally posted by FelineFuture that lists all the ingredients in their dry mix can now be found on www.catnutrition.org ... Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble, but trust me, they don't know any better than you or I, so save your money, buy those supplements at VitaminShoppe and buy your kitty some toys instead

This was my order last month... it should last about a year or more. Also, you don't need to buy some of those supplements. I and others agree that Dulse and Glandular Supplement are unnecessary, so that's even less cost.

Enjoy!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 09:01 PM

I'm just trying it out to see how she likes it. THEN if she does I will invest in a grinder and supplements. I had heard that a hand grinder didn't work. What bones can you grind??
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm also planning to buy the "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition" book to learn more about all this. It is a book they use in veterinary schools, so it may be a bit hard to read, but I have no fear... Cost is $120 new, but you can buy it used for under $10 on Amazon.com or Half.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 68-9937757
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 09:03 PM

So you're saying the recipe above is the EXACT thing in the feline future? So...if I end up using it...I don't have to use bones!!??? Wouldn't that be cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page