Very difficult after the vet visit - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Very difficult after the vet visit

It's been about 18 hours since I brought Baxter back home from the vet and Barnaby is still fiesty toward him, hissing and nipping. It's not constant but when Baxter gets too close or crosses his path it happens.

The first time I took Baxter to the vet a month ago it just took a few hours to settle things down but this time is much worse. I tried the vanilla trick and it did not help. Barnaby doesn't even want to play with him like he usually does.

I don't know if I should keep Baxter confined to the basement overnight or exactly what I should do. It was not even this difficult during their initial introduction, but back then Barnaby was a bit scared and now he is not.

I hate to see them not getting along after it was going so well.

Anyone else have this problem after a trip to the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Cat Addict

oooh yeah. Sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes hours, sometime it's as if nothing happened. I guess it just depends on what smells they pick up.

I don't think separating them will help much, tho I've never tried it myself. I just play referee until all is back to normal.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Cool Cat

Can you maybe give him a bath to get some of the smells off of him? I know Skeeter hates it when I come home smelling like other places/people/pets or even if I put on scented lotion. If I don't smell like "his mom" I usually have to take a shower. So, maybe if Bexter just smells like pet shampoo, Barnaby won't be as upset.
BTW, What is the vanilla trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 10:17 AM

The Vanilla Trick is when you put a dab of vanilla extract on each kitty, in theory, to make them smell the same. Sometimes it can help to have the cats sharing the same scent.

Maybe rub Baxter down with a towel - and then give that to Barnaby to smell for a bit. You could also try rubbing Baxter down with a dirty, sweaty shirt of yours to get *your* scent on him (not to imply that you are either dirty or sweaty, Richo but it might help Barnaby to smell you on him).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
My aunt's cats reacted the same way and it took them 2 weeks to get back to normal. It even happened once when Sam took a nap in some freshly cleaned towels - Harriet thought she was another cat heh.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page