If I thought that Sabby would allow it... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

If I thought that Sabby would allow it...

I would adopt these kittens. I found them at the Siamese Rescue Center in Virginia. They're currently being fostered here in Ohio. I signed a new lease on my apartment yesterday and found out that I'm actually allowed to have two cats in my apartment.

This is Newton

And this is Roisin

And I'm in love.

Sabby doesn't get along with other animals, so this is a no go..but if he did... Justin and I were driving last night and I said to him, "If I thought for a second that Sabby would allow it, I would..." I stopped for a second and continued, "discuss it with you and see how you felt about it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Cool Cat

I know the feeling. If Assumpta would even tolerate it, I would bring home that elderly sick declaw from the shelter, just so she could live her last months in a real home with lots of laps and cuddling...but she's so frail that there is no way she could handle Assumpta's complete hostility toward other animals, and once it gets cold, the only room I could segregate her in will be too cold for a cat as thin as she is.

My husband already knows that after Assumpta (though hopefully that won't be for a long time), we'll probably have a never-ending procession of unadoptable special-needs and problem-child kitties coming through our house
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:39 PM

I can understand why you are in love, Niss - they look like angels ..at least at the surface
How did that talk with Sabby go? Is he thinking about it not being so bad? after all he has the ability to discipline the two little rascals if they go overboard

p.s. I hope you will post some new pictures of Sabby soon - I can never get enough of him! I know you are trying to help him to lose weight but I hope you left a little chubbiness for me in order to squeeze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sabby was very sweet last night. He was all huggles and kisses. I've seen him around other cats and it's not pretty, but then he wasn't introduced to the other cats properly either. He grew up with a cocker spaniel and to this day that's the only other animal he'll tolerate. Even then, he barely tolerates cocker spaniels. He doesn't like them. I couldn't do that to him in his old age.

My husband is not a cat person. At least, he wasn't when we met. I was just posting in my livejournal the stages of Justin and Sabby's relationship. It went like this:
December 1998: "I'm not a cat person, but I don't mind this cat."

December 1999: "I *expletive deleted* hate that cat. It's either him or me."

December 2000: "I hate that cat."

December 2001: "I only pet that cat because he's fuzzy."

December 2002: "The cat's O.K. and I like that he's fuzzy."

December 2003: "I don't love the cat."

Two nights ago when Justin got home Sabby was rubbing against Justin's legs and meowing for attention. Justin bent over, put his arms around him and said, "I know! I love you too!"

Me: "I KNEW IT!!!"

Justin blushed red and quickly left the room.

Justin knows we'll be getting another cat when Sabby leaves us. Two nights ago (before the "love" incident) I dropped the, "How would you feel if we got two cats?" bomb on him. He's still considering, but he knows I want two and he might just agree with me.

Ioana, I actually have several pictures on my digital camera I took last Friday when I took home some fresh catnip. One of them might become a new avatar. I'm waiting for my friend to download them for me so I can put them up here. I might just go harass him now so I can get them up today.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annissa
Justin bent over, put his arms around him and said, "I know! I love you too!"

Me: "I KNEW IT!!!"

Justin blushed red and quickly left the room.

That's so cute, I love it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:29 PM

What a nice story between Justin and Sabby ..hehe I am not surprised at all..I am only thinking "what took Justin so long". One look in those deep eyes of Sabby's is enough for me to fall in love with him..hehe; he is such a cutie and I assume a character too.
He seems to be very much alike Minnie, my tuxedo chunky (tamed feral) girl. She doesn't tolerate other cats either and is VERY vocal - especially when I pet her on the back near her tail : she lets out a very high pitched "meeeoow". Plus when I pick her up I feel like I am holding a little piggy . She is spayed and eats normally but for some reason gained weight. More cuddles for me

I cannot wait to see Sabby pictures !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 03:10 PM

When Henry and met 25 years ago he was not a cat person. I have always had cats. About 6 months after we moved in together I got a cat. He said he didn't want it. Well Puss was a sweet natured apricot and white.
And she was tiny. I brought her home is a grocery bag. Told him that I found her behind Safeway and that one kitten had been run over. Which to a certain extent was true. A friend of mine lived 5 blocks behind Safeway and one of the kittens had been run over. Well he felt sorry and said she could stay but she was NOT sleeping on the bed. I fixed Puss a bed in a basket. During the night she got on the bed. When I woke up she was laying on his pillow with her head next to his. he had his hand on her. That was the way it was for 15 years. When we lost her I thought Iwas going to lose Henry. Of course by then there were three other cats.
When Henry passed away 4 years ago. His beautiful big black Shortie was by his side. That cat never left the bed from the time we started hospice. He would get down and use the litter box and right back on the bed. Ifinallyput food and a box in the bedroom because he wouldn't leave his "daddy" for long enough to eat. Shortie lived not quite a year after Henry died. He was never the same. Always seemed lost.
But it is strange how men want to play tough and them have such soft middles.
My Gran always said. "Give me a man that loves cats and you will give me a good lover" (a woman before her times)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Lynda,

What a beautiful, bittersweet story. Thank you for sharing it. Your Gran sounds like mine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 05:12 PM

My fiance did not like cats either. I mentioned cats he'd always state he's a DOG person. What are cats good for, he'd say? They pee all over, he said. (He's had cats before, some bad experiences).

I got a job at a cat shelter and would come home and tell him all about the different cats there - how some of them were bitchy and didn't like people, some were scared of everything, and some LOVED to be held and petted and loved on.

Well one day about a month ago he said, "Do you want a cat?" He thought it would make me happy. But HE didn't like cats at all.

We did get Joey and my fiance would say things like, "Well, he's kind of cute. But he just lays there, heh doesn't have much personality."

Then I'd wake up to the two of them playing, fiance laughing and cat meowing. Fiance would come in and say, "That cat's so funny! I've never seen anything like him!"

When I told him I wanted to take him with me to college, he was a little upset. Now he asks all the time how Jo-Jo is and tells me to take good care of him.

Men are so cute.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 02:14 AM

What great stories! My dad hated cats too. He actually told me all my life he was alergic, but Jinx doesn't bother him at all. Whenever I catch my dad petting or talking to Jinx I tease him. His answer is always the same "I do not like cats, I like that cat."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page