My poor elderly cat too fat, arthritis? Im stealing him! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

My poor elderly cat… too fat, arthritis? I’m stealing him!

Tigger is getting so fat recently! He just lies around (which isn’t unusual) but when he gets up he meows loudly. I think he needs to lose more than 5-10 lbs… I’m not sure though. He also acts pained when he moves – so I’m not sure if it’s arthritis or maybe that he’s just so fat it hurts to walk. He has all of his claws – so I’m not sure if it’s arthritis or not.

On top of that… my dad is still feeding him science diet – I tried to talk to him about giving Tigger some more wet food or at least changing his dry food around… to something a little better at least. I told him that his weight gain was probably due to the dry – and that cats were totally carnivores and shouldn’t be given SD - which is made of nothing but crap. Instead of getting kitty cat food – he bought cans of tuna… O_o on top of his science diet… which is only making him fatter!

The wheels have been turning in my head for a little while – so I’ve been considering asking my father if I could start taking care of Tigger. I’m just tired of seeing my poor old cat being fat and unhappy. He’s like… 11 years old… he’s been fed so much crud… like meow mix… science diet… I think he deserves an all wet diet... or at least half! I’ve tried giving him Wellness… each and every time he has gobbled up any flavor! ^_^

I hate doing this to my dad – he really loves Tigger – but I want his last few years to be happy and filled with yummy nutritious food and lots of love and toys… instead of nothing… and some cruddy dry cereal everyday… and a couple pats on the head.

I don't really want to upset my dad though... I hardly mentioned it to mom and she got upset to no end. =/ I want what's best for Tigger - and since I was the one who was there when he was born - I want to be there when he passes away. He has given me so many good years - I just want him to be happy at the end. This isn't an easy choice... and I doubt I'll get to take him with me. *sigh* If I can't... I hope he knows that I love him... it just makes me sad to think I won't be able to keep him with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:57 AM

Oh, that is sad. I kinda sense from your posts that there's a little tension between your parents and you right now. If it were otherwise, I'd just say take the cat. But your relationship with your parents should probably come first. I would gradually work on getting them to realize what they are doing. Maybe printing up some neat, concsise easy to read info and suggesting they read it. I don't know, really tough situation, but the health of this cat is very important in general and obviously to you. I'd say take slow little steps, and do it as kindly and rationally as possible. (Even though it sounds like that's what you are already doing).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:43 AM

Could you supply the food for the cat? In my experience the men in my life who argue against a "special" diet for the pets do so at least party out of laziness - they don't want to go out of their way to get "special" food, and they get flustered trying to remember what. So what if you just supplied the canned food, might that help? That way it's much easier for your dad to do it.

Anything you do will probably help Tigger out. I really understand your dillemna - I've tried talking to my parents before about putting the pets on better foods but it's an uphill battle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page