Does your cat drink lots of water? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Does your cat drink lots of water?

Because mine doesn't. He doesn't eat any dry food, though - and the food that I make for him has about 1 oz of water per day of food. Also, he drinks whole milk sometimes, so that's the other source of liquid. But, he hasn't once touched his bowl of water, although it's filtered and changed a few times daily. He pees a few times a day, and I wouldn't say very little, but I was wondering if other cats drink no or very little water on a wet/raw diet?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Cats who only eat wet food rarely drinks water. They get the water they need from their food.

My cats almost never drink any water, but they only eat raw food.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Jr. Cat

I read that cat owners SHOULD get the water fountain bowl...people claim their cats drink twice as much after they got it, and it stopped them from getting digestive problems related to lack of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
I read that cat owners SHOULD get the water fountain bowl...people claim their cats drink twice as much after they got it, and it stopped them from getting digestive problems related to lack of water.
Everyone who feed their cats an all dry diet should probably invest in a water fountain since it's basically only dry fed cats who ingest to little water.

I plan on buyting a water fountain anyway, but that's because I really like water fountains. I'm gonna buy a really fancy one, in stone, with plants climbing on it
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:42 PM

My cats eat wet and dry food, they drink some water, but not a lot. I hope I can get a fountain for them soon. Where is a good one at a good price found?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Cat Addict

RE fancy fountains; if your cats will drink from it, I'd suggest something simpler, since it will need to be dismantled and all parts washed, disinfected, and rinsed thoroughly at least once a week. (This is the Voice of Experience here!) Fountains collect a lot of cat spit and hair!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjean
RE fancy fountains; if your cats will drink from it, I'd suggest something simpler, since it will need to be dismantled and all parts washed, disinfected, and rinsed thoroughly at least once a week. (This is the Voice of Experience here!) Fountains collect a lot of cat spit and hair!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Thanx Dr. Jean! So do you mean a fountain that's more simple or that maybe a bowl should just be used? In your opinion, which is best? Here's hoping I don't sound too stupid... LoL! Thanx again!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 07:47 PM

My cats did drink quite a bit of water in the summer, and also when they ate mostly dry food. Now that the weather is cooler and they eat mostly wet food, they hardly drink any.

I have a Fresh Flow fountain, and yes, it is annoying to have to take it all apart to clean it once a week! I wish there were an easier way.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 11:45 PM

I feed dry food and have the catit water dome fountain that my cats love. I actually logged on to find out does anyone have a cat that drinks too much - Boomie has been drinking all day! He has learned how to move the handle to turn on the tap and drinks from it all day!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Boomie is really clever! However, drinking a lot of water is often a sign of a kidney problem, so you might want to ask the vet about it, especially if he is older. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page