bum in the air? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

bum in the air?

why does my cat raise her backside when i pet her?
hope its nothing sexual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Is your cat spayed? Most cats will lift their rear when being petted. I think all mine do. They enjoy being petted, especially on their lower back/tail base.

Now a cat that is not spayed will lift her rear and stick her tail to the side, usually while meowing or screaming to no end. LoL! You can tell the difference easily. I have one in heat now, my youngest that is not spayed yet.

Sound like what you're talking about is just normal actions from being petted, nothing sexual.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

another question.

my cat will find a bed for a few months then always move on to another. whether it be sofa's, ups stairs in a dark cupboard, on a mattress i bought or on my bed.

why?

i try to keep where she sleeps clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:10 PM

That's a cat's typical independence. I find that mine moves around at night even. he'll go to sleep in my room, in the middle of the night he'll be somewhere else, and in the morning yet again somewhere else. That's just the way they are. (Incidentally, mine has never used the bed I bought him.)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Jenn is right. It shows that they are enjoying the petting, and probably want you to pet or scratch the whole way to the base of her tail. I usually draw my hand through their tails also. Male cats do the same thing. It's probably relaxing, like getting your own back rubbed or scratched!

A female in heat does like a lot of attention because she is so nervous, but the behavior would be much more extreme. That is because of the instinct to reproduce, not because of desire. I think females just put up with the act, even though pregnancy is the only way they get relief from those symptoms.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Cool Cat

Both of my cats (neutered males) lift their rear and raise their tail straight up when being petted. It's funny though, when Barnaby doesn't want to be petted he ducks under my hand almost walking with his stomach dragging on the floor as it to say "don't touch me"

I've only had Baxter for a few months but I know that Barnaby changes his habitual sleeping place on a regular basis.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

i think the only reason fluff used the bed i bought her was because i put it beside the heater in my house. she luvs the heat.

which is the only difference really between us.

i dont like the heat much.

although we both love food, our own space and are both moody
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

also im convinced my cat loves the odd friendly fight.

eg. first to 5

me touching her nose.

her pawing any part of me.

she loves it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Hi, Irish! I know something about you! You speak with a Scottish accent! Now how did I know that?*

Anyway, to cats we are soft furnaces. That's what they like about us. We are also food dispensers. What's not to like?

*The answer is that my mother was born in Scotland, and I once had a landlady who was from Northern Ireland. I was surprised to hear the Scottish accent!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 10:25 PM

All of my cats raise their butts and howl (even the boys!) and Tigger sometimes licks his lips or smacks his tongue. It's really funny to watch and listen to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page