When you feed your cat wet food... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

When you feed your cat wet food...

do you typically overestimate the amount of food to place into the bowl or do you try to give what you figure is the right amount, such that your kitty can consume all of it?

also, if you overestimate, do you put the leftovers back in the can?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 01:06 AM

I feed wet food 4 times a day. My kitten's 5 months now, and she eats about 40 to 50 grams each time. She gets a small bit of milk with each meal. On top of that, there is a bowl of dry food for her to nibble at throughout the day. As far as the wet meals are concerned, she might not quite finish her meal each time, but she does get back to it later. Next time I need to feed her the bowl is practically empty (a few bits might remain). I have tried to increase the amount to about 60 grams, because I think she eats very little, but apparently about 50 grams are enough for her. It's been that way since I got her. There's been only one time (she'd been in the garden chasing butterflies all day and got a lot of activity) that she ate her bowl, stayed in front of it and looked up at me. I added a bit. She did the same thing all over again. I refilled a few times, and she ate 100 grams in one go! That's how I know she needs more food. She'll sit there until I fill the bowl again She never meows for food, but is very happy when she gets it, which makes it hard to guess at what she needs. I do keep a close eye on her, and stay around while she's eating.

The first type of wet food I bought stated the amount to feed was about 50 to 60 grams a meal, and no matter what food I give her, 40 to 50 grams is still her limit. The wet food, I measure. The dry food, I don't. She gets a good handfull, and never finishes it completely.

Measuring the food you give her, and weighing what she doesn't eat will give you an idea of how much to feed her. Add a bit more sometimes to see if she doesn't want more.

Nishi
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:48 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

I try to serve only as much as they will eat, but sometimes they don't finish it all and I put that food back in the fridge, however I do not put it back in the can with fresh food.

The food is never outside the fridge for more than 10-15 minutes since I put it right back in when the cats leave the bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Sol (or anyone else who's raised kittens)-

How often should I feed Scully and the babies?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey
Sol (or anyone else who's raised kittens)-

How often should I feed Scully and the babies?
4-5 times a day is fine. I feed kittens 5 times a day. Let them eat as much as they want to when you feed them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 10:12 AM

Since I just starting weaning my dry food addict off of dry and onto wet I didn’t really know how much he’d wanna eat, I feed nutro pouches so they have chunks, the very first time I’d count the chunks he only ate ten and then I gave him some dry to fill him up then the next day I added five, so he was getting 15 and if he gobbled that up I gave him dry food to fill him up, the next day I added 5 more so he was getting 20, etc. today he gets 25, it also helps to transition them onto the wet food if your just starting so to figure out how much he’ll eat I just count the chunks lol, I ges if you feed a different food you could count teaspoons or something like that?

I don’t like to put the food I give my kitty back in the fridge because I find that it gets like...crusty. He won’t eat a whole pouch a day so its in the fridge open already, it’s fine then but after I take it out and heat it up once it doesn’t do well in the fridge again.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:24 PM

twice

Hi,

I feed Shadow twice a day (morning & night) and leave the food out. Since I work full time I can't keep putting a little out at a time all day long. Cats don't like to eat big meals all at once (It's not that they can't...just not good for them so don't worry if your cat doesn't finish everything as soon as you put it down). Shadow usually finishes what's in his bowl by the next time I feed him. If not it goes in the trash.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:40 AM

I feed my kittens 3 times a day. Work during the day so more than that is impossible. They both get a 3oz can each in the morning then agian at supper time. Then they split a 3oz can at bed time. about 7.5 oz/day with a kitty treat here and there. One kitten is 4 lbs @ 3 1/2 months the other is 7.5- 8lbs At 5 1/2 months
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I've started feeding the kittens right after they've taken a nap, which is roughly every 3 or 4 hours (when I'm not home, I call, and my family feeds them). I can roughly guestimate that in the morning, they will be very hungry, and around lunch they'll be really hungry. Mid-afternoon, not so much, but dinner is another big meal. You kind of learn to gauge how much they eat in a 20-minute sitting. If they don't eat it all, the canned food I will put back in the fridge, but the raw I usuaully throw out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM

I give them 3/4 of a 13 oz can per day between the two of them. They don't seem to be gaining or losing weight with that amount, so I figure it's about right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page