Kittens Saved From Fire - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Kittens Saved From Fire

The mother died trying to save the last of six kittens and three others died from complications but it looks like two will survive! (I just think it's incredible that the mother cat kept going in to get her kittens)

WARREN, Mich. -- Their mother scurried amid flames, carrying the 2-day-old kittens one by one in her mouth to safety. She perished with the sixth and last kitten she went in to save from a house fire on July 13.

Now only two kittens remain from the litter.

Firefighters found the five living kittens outside the house and took them to an animal hospital in Harper Woods. The mouse-sized animals were given a 50 percent chance to live and placed in the care of Feline Friends Rescue in Warren.

For a month, the litter seemed to thrive. But two of them - Sparky and Ember - got sick and died last month.

Warren resident Martha Johnson, 58, who cares for the kittens dubbed the "fire babies," said the largest kitten, Phoenix , died Sept. 6 of lung complications related to smoke inhalation.

"I guess that his lungs could no longer support his body," Johnson told the Detroit Free Press for a Saturday story.

Survivors Sooty and Blaze are now 10 weeks old.

Johnson and fellow volunteer Deanne Charron, 40, of Clinton Township are keeping close watch on the two remaining kittens, which appear healthy. Sooty had a fever but recovered. Blaze had two inches of his tail removed but seems fine.

Feline Friends generally offers healthy kittens for adoption when they are about 6 weeks old, but it has extended the length of care for Sooty and Blaze. They likely will be at least 12 weeks old before they can go home with anyone, Charron said.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 01:24 PM

awwwwww that's so sad i'm in the middle of class about to cry such a brave mommie!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Senior Cat

What a brave mummy. Makes you realise what big hearts our kitties have

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Premier Cat

That is so sweet and so sad at the same time.
There was a picture in my local paper a few weeks ago of a mother cat getting oxygen via a mask by a fireman while her kittens were watching. The kittens looked to be at least a few weeks old and I got the impression from the picture caption that mom and kittens all made it. It was in Bowling Green, I think in the state of Kentucky, but I could be mistaken.
Does anybody else remember seeing it? I have looked for the photo and maybe story online but I couldn't find anything. The picture was so adorable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page