How good are cats at remembering people? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

How good are cats at remembering people?

from what i read so far... cats can easily forget who another cat is if they forget their scent or the scent is altered....

soo... if i had my cat babysitted by someone for a week or two, would my cat forget who i am and just think of me as some dude who brings the food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Cat Addict

Sabby had to live with a friend of mine for about a year. He remembered me every time I came over. I read somewhere that cats remember things that are important to them. I think that goes for people too.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:55 AM

My boyfriend and I are going away for 3 weeks over Christmas and we have to board our cats. I hope they don't forget us, I will be worrying about them CONSTANTLY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Samhain has stayed with Joe's sister numerous times during Christmas holiday; usually for about 2 weeks but it's been as long as 3. She's never forgotten us during any of her stays. I was gone for 2 months this summer, though, and I'm not sure if Psi remembered me that well, but all was back to normal after about 3 or 4 weeks.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:12 AM

I'm concerned about that also. Wife and I are going away for 3 weeks in December and kittens will be about 8 mohtns old by then we'll have had them for about 4 months. We have a petsitter coming to our home. I heard that its a good idea to keep a smelly sock or sneaker or teeshirt around for them to smell while your gone. I'm thinking about maybe wearing same tee shirt to bed for a few weeks actually 2 tee shirts alternating nights. Then when we go I'll put one in a zip lock bag and the other where they play. I'll then ask the petsitter to take the one in a ziplock bag out when about 1 1/2 weeks go by and put that in the play area. hopefully this will help them remember me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Cool Cat

Moby is very antisocial with humans. Maybe it's more hearing based than anything, but friends that are over offen he's fine with, where he's wary of newcomers.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:26 PM

I think they are very good. My kitties flee the INSTANT they hear a peep from my nephew or my neice.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:24 PM

I am not sure my cats remember me even now when I am the only human they normally see. When another human comes over, they seem to treat that person in pretty much the same manner. There is no discrimination as to which lap they will jump on or who they will try to steal food from.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
I am not sure my cats remember me even now when I am the only human they normally see. When another human comes over, they seem to treat that person in pretty much the same manner. There is no discrimination as to which lap they will jump on or who they will try to steal food from.
Sounds to me like that's a very well-adjusted, good-tempered cat.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Jr. Cat

I had to babysit my cousin's cat while he was gone on vacation, he seemed to love me more than him. Infact, when my cousin came he ran away and hid. It was sad to see him go, even it was only one week.

So I think cats remember what they want to, just as their habits...they are picky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page