how to keep a kitty warm... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
how to keep a kitty warm...

It seems fall is coming up fast this year and I couldn't be happier! Except that every morning I wake up FREEZING!! Last night I went to bed with my sheet, a thermal blanket, and my comforter on me. I was warm and snug, but when I woke up Addison was curled up on the floor in my dirty laundry

For the past few days, he'll walk on top of me and sleep on my stomach or back (whichever is up) to keep warm. I love that he's getting snuggly again, but I feel bad that he's so cold.

I want to get some sort of heating pad that I can put maybe in his bed, but he doesn't really use it anymore, he either goes to his bed on my dresser in the closet, or sleeps on the bed with me.

Any ideas of what I can use to keep him warm? I try to snuggle up to him and lay a blanket across his back but he just gets mad and walks away. He seems to miserable! And he's been sick on top of it, so I really want to keep him warm. Any ideas?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Maybe if you put his bed next to yours, then you added a heating pad, he might get the idea. A fleece blanket, which can be rather inexpensive, is great for snuggling down into; just ball it up and put it on the floor or wherever, he'll figure it out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:00 AM

Heating Pad

You are his heating pad! Believe me, if he gets cold he will use you to warm up!

My cat is definately not very affectionate but when it's cold he curls up between my legs at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Ugh, it definitely isn't fall yet in Tennessee. I can't Wait for cold nights and mornings. Samhain likes to cuddle up to me when it's cold too and she greets me by poking me in the face so that I'll lift up the covers for her, then she crawls in and sticks all four of her cold paws Right on my tummy. Hehehe. I'm also hoping that when it gets cooler, the boys will sleep together. *crosses fingers*

The fleece blanket is a good idea.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I guess I'll have to find him his own blanket because sadly, he does NOT like it under the covers. I know its 20 times warmer under there than it is in the chilly morning air, but he doesn't seem to care. He won't go under the covers for anything.

I know we have a lot of extra blankets around somewhere, I'll have to find one and make it up in the corner for him. The only thing is, the head of my bed is up against the windows where all the cold air is. They're closed, but you know how it gets colder around windows. I'd move my bed, but my room is so tiny that how I have it now is the only way to have walking room.

There's a nice little corner away from the window that he can snuggle up in

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
That'll work. Just provide him one or two warm spots to sleep and he'll find the one that he likes. Maybe he's warmest sleeping next to you even tho he's not covered with a blanket. I'm sure your body-heat is warmer than any blanket out there! And who could pass up the opportunity to sleep with a cat??

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Cool Cat

I'm heard thermal blankets are bad for cats - they overheat. I honestly think cats are ok as they are without the coverings we need. They grow thicker hair for winter anyway.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:38 PM

Mia LOVES her sheepskin bed. They are great -- they keep cats cool in summer and warm in winter. And if Addison likes snuggling, he might like one of those little beds with the hood over it. THey make some that look like someone just laid a quilt over the top of it -- for kitties who like to nose their way under blankets. I saw one at Wal-mart.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Cool Cat

Do not use heating pads for pets! They aren't to be used for extended periods or without supervision and should only be used on people. A cat's fur is there to protect him or her from the elements. If they are cold, a little body heat from you, or a warm blanket to snuggle in is sufficient.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
There are heating pads and disks made specifically for pets, and can be useful if there is poor heating in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page