How to administer medicine orally? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

How to administer medicine orally?

I remember there was a thread about this earlier but i can't seem to find it now I need to give my kitty some hairball stuff, i tryed putting some on his paws so i didn't have to use a syringe down his throat, and at first it worked so i was like ohhh good! but then he figure out how to get most off without licking, smart kitty . so how would i go about giving him the hairball solution with a syringe? or if you have the link to the other thread i'd be glad of that too!

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 05:49 PM

i've had to medicate my cats a few times, i take my thumb and forfinger on one hand and lightly grasp on both side of her head at the back of the mouth, tilt her head back a bit and with gentle pressure of fingers i can coax her to open her mouth, stick the syringe into back of tounge, squirt and then close her mouth and blow on her nose and she swallows.

I'm always careful to not use excessive force, you dont want to pry open the mouth nor close it so she bites her tounge. Lots of technique and every cat is probably different

http://videoforcats.com/catpills.htm
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Oliver is on a liquid antibiotic right now. I just put some roast beef on a plate and squirt his medicine on it and he licks up every last drop. (He never gets people food so he doesn't know that roast beef isn't really suppose to taste like Clavamox ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Addison is on Amoxi drops to fight what I hope is just a mild respiratory infection brought on by the steroids he's on to help with his heartworm (poor thing...)

Anyway, the steroids are tiny pills that I can hide inside his treats. Simple enough. So THEN with the antibiotics, the vet goes "will it be easier to use a liquid?" and I'm like 'heck no!!" but she gave it to me anyway... stupid vet wanting me to learn how to do oral meds so I can do it at work!! (lol...jk)

Anyway, I've had some success mixing it in with a tiny bit of his wet food and giving him nothing else until he finishes it (hoping that if he's hungry enough it'll work). Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

I've had my mom help me. Either she'll hold him and I'll squirt, or I hold and she squirts. It doesn't seem to work either way. I think he gets stressed out and fights a heck of a lot. I can't even get his mouth open without him snapping it shut and turning away. He actually fought back so hard he tore off one of his newly glued soft paws and dug deep into my moms arm with the nail.

Finally, tonight I was by myself so I tried to make it easy. I set him on the table, grabbed his scruff and put the dropper in the side of his mouth and squirt before he had a chance to fight. IT WORKED!! I've never been so proud

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Cat Addict

Sabby had an absessed tooth removed a few years ago. So when I have to give him medication orally I sit cross-legged on the floor and sit Sabastion down on my lap with his back against my chest. Then I hold his head with my left hand and insert the syringe through his clenched teeth where he had his tooth removed. Then I very slowly inject the liquid into his mouth and he laps it up. It's worked for everything except a particularly nasty tasting medicine that made him foam at the mouth.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

That's sooooo much help everyone, thankz! I'll be sure to try it tonight, i don't blame him for not liking it tho, the texture is like molassus(sp?) and it smells really really bad, it's says on the tube that the flavor is appealing to cats, whoever created this must have cats that will eat ANYTHING!

I'm gonna try mixing it with water too, it might help lol

thanks again everyone, great help!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
What product are you using?

I've got a tube of I believe its called Petromalt? I just put it on my finger and he licks it right off.

Can you just try mixing it with some of his food?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:20 PM

Hi OsnobunnieO

I have to ask! What are "soft paws"?

Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Addison is on Amoxi drops to fight what I hope is just a mild respiratory infection brought on by the steroids he's on to help with his heartworm (poor thing...)

Anyway, the steroids are tiny pills that I can hide inside his treats. Simple enough. So THEN with the antibiotics, the vet goes "will it be easier to use a liquid?" and I'm like 'heck no!!" but she gave it to me anyway... stupid vet wanting me to learn how to do oral meds so I can do it at work!! (lol...jk)

Anyway, I've had some success mixing it in with a tiny bit of his wet food and giving him nothing else until he finishes it (hoping that if he's hungry enough it'll work). Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

I've had my mom help me. Either she'll hold him and I'll squirt, or I hold and she squirts. It doesn't seem to work either way. I think he gets stressed out and fights a heck of a lot. I can't even get his mouth open without him snapping it shut and turning away. He actually fought back so hard he tore off one of his newly glued soft paws and dug deep into my moms arm with the nail.

Finally, tonight I was by myself so I tried to make it easy. I set him on the table, grabbed his scruff and put the dropper in the side of his mouth and squirt before he had a chance to fight. IT WORKED!! I've never been so proud
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
SoftPaws (http://www.softpaws.com/), is a product for both dogs and cats. They are vinyl nail covers, that are easy to apply just after trimming a cat or dog's nails, and will stay on for several weeks. They'll protect everything from an animal's nails (your furniture, your arms, and for dog owners, they are awesome at saving wooden floors). Most cats will not mind having them on, and they can still stretch and scratch to their hearts content, no damage done.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
What product are you using?

I've got a tube of I believe its called Petromalt? I just put it on my finger and he licks it right off.

Can you just try mixing it with some of his food?
I haven't tried mixing it with his food yet but i assumed he wouldn't like it because he's very picking about his food! I'm going to try tonight though. He loves his wet food now which is good, he puches to get at his food when i'm pouring it in the bowl, and that happens even AFTER he's ate a bunch of dry, silly kitty!

I'm not sure what it's called, i got it directly from the vets office here, i think it's something like petromalt, it's real think and i know on the tube it says malt flavored. At first i tryed it on my finger, he didn't like it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page