Anyone interested in adopting a stray special needs kitty? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Anyone interested in adopting a stray special needs kitty?

Back at home we have a really nice little girl kitty, we haven't given her a name yet (I know, that sounds horrible). She's lost both eyes due to infection (there were so many stray births on our farm this spring and summer that, while we tried to help the mothers keep the eyes clean, we weren't able to keep up), but she's very intelligent and can find her way around just fine. She'll follow us around if we're outside and likes to be petted and picked up. She doesn't tend to walk into things that I've seen, and if you put a bottle cap on the ground in a way that makes noise she'll bat at it.

I think she'd be a GREAT pet for someone with very gentle, friendly cats and children and/or with an easy-to-navigate home. I would take her myself, but I simply can't afford to get her fixed right now and even if I could, with all the issues I'm going through with Mammers right now (and his aggression) I don't think it would be fair to either of them. My parents can't take her in either, as they've got no extra cash and 3 indoor cats to take care of already. It's all they can do to buy food to try and help out the strays.

I want to try and find her a home before she is able to breed and before winter hits, and she's getting up there in age (I don't know exact time of birth, but sometime in the late spring is my guess). The no-kill shelter is full and won't take her; I checked (and even if they weren't full, I live about 1 mile outside of the county line....bah!). Nobody I talk to wants another cat......since strays are such a huge problem in our area most people have already adopted some and don't want anymore. I talked to the local vet and got a kind of wishy-washy answer so I don't think they'll be willing to take her.

It just breaks my heart to think that she's going to be unable to see, outside when it's cold, and possibly even get pregnant She's such a sweet little girl, short hair, white patches mixed with brown/black tiger stripes. She's lost both eyes (I don't know if there is any tissue left there or if she can even see shadows) so she'd have to get those sewn up along with being fixed and whatever else, but she looks like she'd still have a cute face and her personality, what I've seen of it, is great. She's small (has to fight harder to get food among all the healthy strays) friendly and I'd think would adapt well to a household and doesn't seem to use her claws much, not enough for me to notice anyway.

If anyone is at all interested, please let me know. Nobody seems to want her, and I can't take her......with Mammers being as aggressive as he is and with the likelyhood of me moving around a bit in the next couple years as I get more established, it would be totally unfair to a blind kitty.

The cat is in Wheatley, Ontario, and I don't know what the laws are in regards to bringing animals over into the US (especially ones with obvious health issues like this little girl). I would be willing to meet someone halfway with the cat if it's necessary, if you live in say Toronto or London Ontario or I can drive the hour to Windsor, Ontario which borders on Detroit. I would offer to pay medical expenses but right now, I really can't.....all I can offer is the cat and if needed try to meet you with her somewhere. I just really want to find her a home, I'm running out of time and options, and I know there are lots of people here that would be great Mommies or Daddies to her.

I will say that I won't give her to someone that isn't known by anyone here.....I want to know for sure that she'll be getting a good forever home and I'd want to be able to get a few "yes, this person is good" references before I give her up. I don't want to give her to someone that is a total stranger around here. If you need a picture before adopting, I can try to do that but since I don't have a digital camera, I can't guarantee anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page