Scully and the kittens: where are they now? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Scully and the kittens: where are they now?

Since pictures only tell part of the story, I figured I'd give everyone a formal update on our foster kitties -

Wow. Hard to believe that it's been almost two full months since I found a starving, flea-infested, very pregnant kitty in a video store parking lot on a hot summer day. Since taking her in, and having her kittens, Scully has really metomorphasized into a beautiful cat (though completely camera shy *grrr*). Her coat is soft and shiny, she's put on weight, and has settled in to the house like she's been here forever. She's still skittish around people, especially men, but my dad was able to pet her for a few minutes the other night, which is a major accomplishment for her. She's relaxed, she's playful, she wants lovin' all the time. A far cry from the tiny, terrified, scruffy thing I brought home.

She's still got her quirks. After initially eating dry food, we switched Scully and the kittens over to a raw/canned combo diet. Scully wasn't to eager to give up on her precious dry food, and managed to find where I'd been hiding the bag. Pulling a classic move that many starved kitties will do, she gorged herself...and promptly threw it back up. That, I felt, was the defining moment as a cat owner: I'd had a cat vomit on my rug. I was in the club.

Our plan is to adopt Scully, which means introducing her to the resident empress, Beeper. So far, so good. They both know the other one is here, though we carefully rotate who is out in the main part of the house when, so they haven't crossed paths too many times. Beeper will hang around outside my bedroom door, laying down and pawing at it. Scully does the same when Beeper is in my brother's bedroom. They've met a couple times. The first was completely accidental: they met coming around a corner, and scared eachother to death, running in opposite directions. The second time, Scully snuck into where Beeper was sleeping and just...stared at her. The third time, Beeper slipped out of the bedroom , and was waiting to be let outside when Scully came up behind her and started sniffing her. Neither cat was at all upset, though we seperated them rather quickly. All signs point to an positive future for the two of them.

As for the kittens: they are sleek, soft, and marvelously robust. I shudder to think what would have happened were they born strays. They have been so socialized to people, that they are amazingly well behaved and affectionate. During the day, when Scully is out and about in the house, and they're gated in my room, if no one's in the bedroom with them, they'll cry and cry and cry some more. Imagine a chorus of four tiny kitten's pathetically meowing - kind of hard to ignore. All they need is a quick snuggle, a pat in the head, and they're good to go. Yeah, so they're hyper, and they get into everything, and they dirty the litterbox really fast, it's like Jeannie said,

"I think we're getting a glimpse of heaven when we raise kittens. It might be a heaven in which the angels have ripped wings, and there's a little accident under the Pearly Gates, but heaven, nevertheless!"

Anderson (that's him attacking the camera), has now been renamed Schilling and been adopted by a lovely couple, who will be taking him home at 12 weeks. He is by far the largest kitten, and the most talkative - you can carry on entire conversations with him. He's a real teddy bear though, craves any and all affection, and will be purring like a motor with only the slightest TLC.

Steph, in contrast, is the smallest, and is turning into quite the wee princess. She's petite, and likes to sit straight with her tail curled around her feet, like a cat model. Her meow is more like a little chirp, and she'll use it indiscriminately if she feels she's being ignored. But she's also very adventurous, and the most outgoing of any of the kittens. She was the first to get to the second shelf in my closet, the first to figure out the litterbox, the first to try the raw food, and the first to scale the baby gate all the way to the top (she stopped doing that, after she figured out she couldn't get down). She's royalty, and she knows it, and she's going to be an interesting cat someday...

Miko....what can I say about Miko? She's absolutely living up to her name. She's disappeared on us twice now, hard to spot because of her dark fur, and we've found her up in the most obscure and out of the way places (and sound asleep, the little bugger). Yes, she is quite the "little monkey", and climbs everything. Furniture, me, litterbox, me, shelves, me. She's also the spunkiest and will try to pick a fight with anything that moves, which is mostly her brothers. She's long and lithe, and her markings are so unique, that I think she is just going to be a gorgeous cat someday.

Finally, there's PJ. The Peej-meister. Peej-erific. He inherited his mom's very square chin, and it's always reminded me of a little lion. PJ is a total mix of all his siblings. He's as sweet and cuddly as Anderson, as whiny as Steph, and as rambunctious as Miko. He gets along with his brother and sisters equally well, but seems to share a special bond with Miko. They're are the one's typically playing and wrestling together, but when PJ is upset, Miko is the first one to comfort him (she's licked his head before). PJ is, of course, stunningly adorable, the Gerber baby of kittens. He's the one baby I'm having a hard time envisioning grown up, 'cause he's such a cute little baby. But I have no doubts he's going to make a superb cat companion for someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 04:21 AM

What a moving update. I'd take one in a second if I could. You are obviously very dedicated to Scully and her kittens, and lucky for her. I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pictures since I joined the forum. It is nice to see someone so in love with their fosters. Good luck in finding good homes for them all!

Oh, and they are all so adorable ... especially PJ (just IMO)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Premier Cat

Ive also followed your posts on Scullys since I joined. Great update you have a way with words! The pictures are precious! Im so glad the resident empress! is accepting Scully!

Scully is such a special cat. Hard to believe someone couldnt see the great qualities. Were such a throw away society. Im so glad you took her in and now have shared her journey with you with all of us! More More!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Cool Cat

wonderful update. post up when teh other kittens find homes as well I like peej-meister the best
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

Count me as well as a big fan of your posts and updates on Scully and her babies. I am absolutely in love with Anderson/Schilling.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Senior Cat

I would agree with everyone else - what a great update! And you are so kind to take in a stray and her babies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:08 PM

It's so great to hear about them. I've followed their progress since i became a member. It's crazy how big they've gotten even in the time i've been on here! I'd take them all if I was allowed they're all so adorable! Are you keeping Scully even after all of the kittens are gone?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Jr. Cat

For me it would be so hard to give up such adorable kittens! They're all so cute! I especially like the pic with 3 of them sleeping together...Can I save it?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
22Raiynee22 - Yes, Scully will be with us even after the kittens are gone. And if, for some reason, a kitten or two (or three) is not adopted, they'll stay with us too

Raul-7 - Go for it! I'll be posting more incredibly adorable pictures later.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Another Scully and Co. fan checking in! Oh, what an interesting family Scully and you have raised! They are as tempting to the eyes as apple pie and ice cream are to the the appetite--a completely wondrous treat! If I had to pick a cutie, I guess it would be Miko. She has such interesting markings! But don't have to choose; we can love them all.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page