Are there any cat breeds that... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Are there any cat breeds that...

... are good for people with allergies? My mom said that I can get a cat once again (I used to have other cats but I was very young and not to mention they were outside cats only) Okay, so now, my mom has allergies towards any animal fur/hair that isn't hypo-allegetic (sp?) and we are debating wether or not if it is possible to get a cat that is good for people with allergies. Any help would be great!

Thank you,
Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Yes, I have heard that the Sphynx, which is a hairless cat, can be great for people with allergies. Obviously, it's a little bit of a different look in a cat, but you still get a wonderful feline personality. There is some care that comes along with tending to a Sphynx's skin, but nothing outrageous.

And Sol will probably be able to tell you better, but I've heard that Rex cats (Devon and Cornish), because of their unusual fur texture, do not provoke an allergic reaction in a lot of people.

Of course, these are both purebreeds that you're looking at, so there is some cost that goes along with finding and aquiring one, but it may be worth it for the kitty companionship. Good luck!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
aren't bengals supposed to be good for people with allergies? I think I remember someone saying that. even if not, they're so beautiful I'd live with the allergies just to have one

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 08:33 PM

Untrue about the Sphynx cat -- they still produce the protein that people are allergic to. It's in their saliva, not in their fur, so they are just the same as any other cat. However, the Siberian cat does NOT produce this protein, and is therefore the most hypoallergenic cat you will find.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

Yes, you're right ForJazz. What I meant was actually since the Sphynx does not have a coat, the protein from that saliva cannot get trapped in the fur. With a hairless cat, as with most hairless animals, owners rub the skin down at least once daily to remove dirt and oils (and also that protein). Thus, maintaining a Sphynx as hypoallergenic is far easier than a furred cat.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 10:14 PM

Unless your furred cat doesn't produce the protein at all, like a Siberian. You can get their hair all over you and it doesn't matter, since they don't even produce it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Banned

That's a good point, I'd never even heard of a Siberian. How popular are they? Because it's amazing the amount of people that want to have cats, but can't, because a family member or loved one is allergic.

But...how is it that some people are allergic to short-haired and not long-haired? Does that have something to do with the protein? I don't know much about cat allergies, other than that a lot of people I know have them
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 03:39 AM
Cool Cat

I remember seeing on a TV show that the Devon Rex is a good cat for people with allergies, but here is some more information...

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/devon.html
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 03:59 AM

Quote:
But...how is it that some people are allergic to short-haired and not long-haired?
I don't know an absolute answer, but I do know that many believe and claim they are allergic when they really are not. For instance (and I know all cats shed) some long-haired tend to shed more. But the shed (loose) long hair really bothers me as far as eye watering, itching and wheezing (I have asthma) goes, but short haired cats do not bother me as a general rule, and I've had long haired cats that I groomed every day and never really had problems with. Some dogs bother me as well. The thing is, that's just something that happens, and it is not an allergy. I know many people who have these same symptoms around long-haired cats and so just decide to declare themselves "allergic". Maybe some people genuinly are, but I don't know. I have 2 friends who claim they are allergic to long haired cats, but when Bam-Bam was alive (she was a long-haired) she would curl up with them for a petting and it never bothered them. Sometimes, mind over matter.

Sorry for the rant, just putting my two cents about that in.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Banned

Yeah, it's just that I have a friend who is genuinely allergic (her airways start to close up) but long-haired cats bother her a lot less. Since I don't know what causes cat allergies, I never understood why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page