S'wheat cat litter users... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

S'wheat cat litter users...

How long does a 14# bag usually last you? After a year of using crystal-type litter, I decided to go with S'wheat brand. My cat has made the transition with no problems - he's a oldie but goodie

Anyways, I started with a 14# bag and Murphy's litter box is medium-sized. I followed the recommended directions and put an estimated 3" in the box. With that much in the box, there wasn't much left in the bag. A bit perplexed, I emailed customer service at S'wheat and they said that a 14# bag should last at least a month if there's only one cat. I'm having a hard time believing this as I only have maybe a couple pounds remaining in the bag and with me having to fill it back up to the 3" mark as needed, I'm starting to worry if switching to this litter will be cost-effective. The crystals I used before was $14 a bag which lasted four weeks approx. With the S'wheat, I'll be hard pressed to get two weeks out of a bag. The S'wheat however is $9 as opposed to $14. TIA for any feedbback or experience you have had with this...

BTW - the odor control and being able to flush the clumps is really great. No more putting Muprhy's dirty business in bags to smell up the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Cat Addict

It lasted a month for me. But neither Sabby nor I liked it very much so I switched back to Arm & Hammer. I'm glad it works for you, though. I did like the convenience of being able to flush it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Bump

Another week goes by. I went ahead and bought the 40# bag since the 14# bag was all gone. I really do like this stuff, but it looks like I won't be getting anywhere close to how long this "should" last. I've spoken to two Swheat representatives now and both have said that ideally a 14# bag should last at least a month for one cat. So at this rate, I will have gone through 54# of Swheat in under two months

Murphy is a 14-year-old cat that has normal potty routines. His litterbox is medium-sized and he pees maybe 2-3 times and does the big nasty 1-2 times a day. That doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. The clumps are pretty big and I have to break them up before flushing it. So any other one cat households use this stuff that's getting the litter to last any longer than I am?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 02:12 AM

I've went through one of the smaller ones in a month.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Cat Addict

I use this litter too and I have 3 cats. We now buy the big size because the smaller one wasn't enough and we finished it too fast. I don't know how long it lasts us but to me it's worth it because it's a good litter - it smells good, and I can flush it. I like it a lot!

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 02:09 PM

I agree that it doesn't last as long as it seems like it should. Maybe the 1 month is if you aren't filling up a litterbox with new litter, but just adding some each week.

Either way, it didn't seem to last as long as other litters, and it was a LOT more dusty.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
I tried it and I found that it didn't stop the odor much at all, so I switched back to Scoop Away.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Cat Addict

Which other litter is flushable and good? Can you give me some brands?

thanks!

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 12:43 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
As far as flushability goes, no... no recommendations here. The flushability thing isn't a necessary feature in a litter for me - I haven't the space in my bathroom to get a litterbox anywhere near the toilet, heh. It's the smell thing that's most important and I didn't find it was effective with three cats in the house.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Cool Cat

The huge bag (I think 30 or 40 pounds) lasts me maybe a month or two with my two cats. I'm not really sure since I haven't paid too much attention to it.
I don't flush the litter anymore, since the litterbox isn't in the bathroom anymore, but when I did, it worked well for me as long as I made sure the pee clumps were small enough.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page