Did you have any problems with cat-to-cat introductions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Easy or difficiult?
Easy (they immediately clicked) 9 45.00%
Hard took some time (at least a day) 8 40.00%
I only have one cat or ones from same litter. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Did you have any problems with cat-to-cat introductions?

Was it really easy and just a matter of just letting the new cat out of the cage and they immediately start clicking?

or did you have to put some effort in setting up a separate base camp for each cat and gradually introduce each toher?

rock the vote!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Senior Cat

I'm in the middle of it Just got Millie on Wednesday evening so still taking it slow. Too worried they don't get on maybe I'm going too slow but don't want to take chances.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty
I'm in the middle of it Just got Millie on Wednesday evening so still taking it slow. Too worried they don't get on maybe I'm going too slow but don't want to take chances.
have they ever met face to face yet? how did that go if so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Cat

Haven't met face to face yet. They've sniffed all around the rooms each other have been in and now they don't bother snifing when they get swapped. Can sniff under door and Cleveland only gives a hiss rarely noe. They have seen each other through the glass door and like to watch what each other is up to. Not sure when to attempt face to face up close. He was dozing on his climbing frame in the hall and she was on top of a cupboard in the kitchen and I left the door open for a minute or so. They just looked at each other and went back to sleep.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 12:18 PM

"Hard took some time (at least a day)"

At LEAST a day??? Good grief - yes, I've had a very hard time. It's been since late June and my resident cat still often hisses, spits, and growls at the new boy. I had them totally separated for almost two weeks, waiting for total acceptance from Pfeffa (resident), but it never happened.

I then kept them separated any time I wasn't home and at night for about four weeks, and they are now together all the time.

I think her constant growls and spitting have annoyed him, and now he doesn't like her very much either

One positive note: last night I spotted them about 6 inches apart from each other - both lying down and looking very content (first time EVER). It didn't last more than three minutes, but it was a big moment for us all.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 12:29 PM

I personally only have one cat but i got it from him from a frend because her cat didn't get along with him. long story short, i believe he will get along with other cats if you do the introduction right.

He was the resident cat in the house and i think they didn't take it slow enough. but my frend can't remember how they did it He sometimes seems kinda lonely so i think he would eventually accept another cat in the house!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Re: they are all difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger Davis
we have 4 and it was 5 until ginger vincent passed away it's never easy we still have one that is very insular and hisses but there are never any fights and they do all eventually learn to live with one another.
I have know one poor woman whose cats fought for 18years never ever liked one another and she had to lock them in different rooms when she went out.

and they were brother and sister!!!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 04:40 PM

I would add a little longer than just a day... my two cats are JUST tolerating each other in the same room and it has almost been 3 months since I've gotten my little kitten.

Of course my older cat is a hellion and thought to hate all other cats... so I'm thinking it's pretty nice for him to not scratch Hali the moment he sees him anymore. I still have to keep him locked up in my room while I go to work though.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:05 PM

Mozart, Ginza and Kayla all took to each other right away, and were all sleeping and eating together from the first day. I got each a month apart, and they were all kittens.

Mozart and Ginza took to Pixie right away when she joined our family a year later. Kayla took a couple weeks to warm up to the new furrbaby, hissing and growling and refusing to eat near her.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:59 PM

Here's my story

Here's what happened for us. Simone had been separated from her brother at the shelter and I later found out they ALWAYS adopt siblings out together. I don't know why they separated her from her brother at that time. Maybe it was better it worked out this way or we never would've gotten Snowball mth. later.

My Dad was in town for the weekend so the 3 of us (Dad, hubby and I) headed to the shelter. We brought Snowball home and HE was the one hissing. He had never lived with another cat before. He was just 7 mths. old. Right away he had to be everywhere I was. If Simone came near, he hissed. She'd walk up to him and sniff him without a care in the world and he'd hiss at her. You could tell she wanted to make friends with him. Finally at one point my Dad told Snowball, "Next time you hiss at her I'm booting you off the couch." He hissed, so, he gave him a gentle push on the tush and he landed on Simone. The look on their faces was priceless. They just stood there looking at each other like, "What just happened?", but no hissing. We just about died laughing. My Dad doing this makes it sound worse than it really was. It was truly funny. (No animals were harmed in the making of this action ) Snowball is very dramatic and always makes things seem worse than they are. So, the first night he took over the bed. Simone was not allowed on it at all. He refused to let her on it. You could tell the way they were acting they weren't gonna fight. So, I put her on the bed with us. Snowball wasn't happy, but he let her sleep with us. I think he was learning that his hissing wasn't getting him very far. When I woke up in the morning the two of them were curled up together. That next day the 2 of them were playing and acting like they had lived together forever. So, in our case it just took that one night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page