Kitty's bed or your's? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Kitty's bed or your's?

When we first adopted Skeeter, we went right out and got him all of the essentials, including a cute and comfy bed. But, he's never laid in it! He either sleeps on our bed, on his blanket on the living-room floor, or in his carrier (aka his toy box). I've been thinking that maybe it's been too hot for him to used his bed because the "bed" part of it is made of fleece. I don't mind him sleeping in those other places, but I would have liked him to like his little bed.
Is there a location for their beds that is prefered by cats?
How can we get him to like his bed?
How many of your cats actually sleep in their bed??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
The only reason Scully doesn't sleep in my bed is that it's a loft, and she hasn't figured out how to climb the ladder. But when my mattress was on the floor for a few weeks, before the kittens were born, then she slept on it all the time. I have nooo idea how to train a cat not to sleep on your bed, it just seems like they want to be near where you are all the time.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:28 AM

My cat wouldn't use his cat bed either I ended up giving it to my aunt for her cat. Even when it was really cold out he still came and slept on my bed. if it's really hot he sleeps on the chair by the window or downstairs.

maybe they just prefer finding they're own spots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Since you're in Georgia, my guess would be it's still too hot. When it cools down (if it cools down...*sigh*) try putting the bed on top of the blanket he likes to sleep on or on your bed where he likes to sleep. Then when he gets used his bed, put it where you want it and hopefully he'll follow hehe.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Senior Cat

Try lying part of you in it Cleveland wouldn't use his new bed till I lay my head in it for a while and then he would

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Cool Cat

My Marsh never really took to his expensive bed. yeah, he'll sleep in it, but only when i'm next to him, otherwise, he's just happy lying around on our beds or on the carpet

Here's his expensive bed:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 05:48 PM

You can try putting the bed somewhere high up, like on top of a dresser or a tall piece of furniture. I have two cat beds and they were never used on the floor, but after I put them in high places, my cats sleep in them all the time.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:21 PM

cat beds

I have never bought cat beds for my cats. I doubt they'd use them. They know they're not allowed on the dressers or any table for that matter, so putting a bed up high is out of the question. They are only allowed on our bed and the couch. Because of how our apt. is set up there really is nowhere to put a cat bed, so I just let them sleep on the couch or our bed. They prefer sleeping where we are anyway.

Getting them to sleep in a bed reminded me of a story I have for you. When we were renting a house we had a shepherd/husky for a year. She belonged to my Dad's friend who was going through chemo for breast cancer and she couldn't keep up with the dog (walks, potty, etc). So, we took her in and we bought her a dog bed. We did everything to get her in it. Pulling on her collar, pushing on her butt, treats, toys, anything to get her in it, to no avail. So, me being a goofball, I get in it and just sat there for about 5 min. I hop out, she hopped in and from that night on she used it. LOL! It was the funniest thing. We also had all hardwood floors. She would sleep half in and half out of the bed. Or, she'd sleep on the floor passed out like she was dead...on the hardwood floor. Owie!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:03 PM

Key-Key only slept in her bed like 2 times and that was when she could not get into our bed! Some how now when I am asleep she ends up with one of my pillows I sleep with two and when I wake up I am on one and she is on the other!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:16 AM

Our cats like our bed, or our guest bed. Simba and Pepper are always on our bed, especially. Our cats have no cat beds of their own, I am not sure if they'd use them or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page