Road Trip with Kitty? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Road Trip with Kitty?

Jim and I are in a predicament. With the holidays coming up, there is the question of whether or not we should take Skeeter with us as we visit family. The issue is this: His family lives about 3 and 1/2 hours away and my family lives 8 hours away. We've driven with Skeeter the 3 and 1/2 hours before because we adopted him while visiting Jim's parents, so we know that he can make the trip. We will probably visit them for Thanksgiving. But, will he remember their house? Will he feel comfortable there or will he be scared/upset/depressed?
Also (this is the big one) what do you all think about taking Skeeter to visit MY parents. They live 8 hours away and since we would visit them for X-mas, we would probably be there for at least a week.
Jim and I are both students, so we don't know if we can afford a pet-sitting service. And we don't really know anyone who would be willing to house/pet sit for us or even devote a couple of hours a day for a week to Skeeter.

Have any of you taken your pets on road trips? How did they react to their new surroundings. Please help! I want to do what's best for our little boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Premier Cat

My sister has traveled with her cats and they did fine. She had a cat box in the car for them to use on long trips.

Be sure and have Skeeter ID chipped and a collar with numbers you can be reached at even while traveling just incase some thing would happens.

If you decide you cant take Skeeter is there anyone who would trade with you to watch you kitty and then your available to watch their dog or cat? Im always watching my friends dogs and cats! Ill never have to worry when I go out of town!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Hey Bobbie have you read the tips on Dr. Jean's site on moving with cats? You could use some from that section until Dr Jean will come back (she's been missing for a while) and she will answer you personally.

Here is the link :
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ithyourcat

Hopefully somebody that has experienced this situation will share with us !
Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 05:06 PM

Moving experiance

When I was younger, my parents and I traveled from Dallas Texas, to J-ville Arkansas (that's about 6 hours i think?). We had a surburban though when we did it. Since it was such a long drive, after the first hour, (when they calmed down some) we let them out in the back seat with me and my sister. We had a litter box in the car that they could use, and whenever we made stops we took them out on leashes. Just make sure you have fresh drinking water for them. Also, if it's a smaller car...you may not want to let the cat out of the kennal, because you don't want to get in a wreck because of that. However, if one of you took turns sitting in the back with the cat, or taking skeeter out and laying him on that persons lap, i really don't think 8 hoours would be a big problem.

Now adjusting to the new place...that might be another story. But hopefully this helps you realize it's not completly impossible. =P

And our cats came out just fine (this was also after the 8 hour flight from Hawaii to Texas...)

Amanda
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 05:33 PM

I've taken Jinx with me on long trips before. He handled it much better as a kitten than he does now. As a kitten he was all into checking out the new place. He even took to one of my friends' husband so well he stopped following me around. Now he'll pretty much keep to the room I'm staying in and come visit me/sleep with me while in there, doesn't go explore the strange house much, but I think he's happier to just have me around even if it's an unfamiliar place.

Also, for a long drive, it's better if someone he loves can have the carrier right next to them. In my experience, Jinx will cry the majority of the time if put in the back by himself, but will lay down and be mellow if he can see me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Wow! This is great information.

Mitts & Tess: unfortunately, we have very few friends who have pets. Since we are students, most of the people we know live in apartments where they aren't allowed to have pets. The few who do have them, though, have dogs, and don't like cats all that much. (I just think they don't know how to bond with them since cats are smarter and don't take to just ANYBODY!) So, the trade-off thing is out. We did, however, pick up some cards for pet-sitters at the local pet store today. The girl at the counter said she's heard good things about these sitters, so if we HAVE TO, we'll used them. (Although, I'd hate to leave my baby behind! ) Oh yes, and we don't have him microchiped, but he does have his tag.

ioana: I will certainly check out the link you posted for me. Thank you for passing that along. (I was wondering where Dr. Jean has been, too!)

Manda-chan: we usually do let Skeeter out of his carrier, even when we're just driving to the vet. He likes to look out windows and chill out next to us. Usually one of us rides in the back with him. If it's a long trip, though, Jim will have to sit in back the whole way--I have motion sickness!!
AND!!! We just today got Skeeter a harness and leash from the local pet store. We've already taken him for a walk outside with it, and he loved it!! (He's such a good boy!)

jessamica8: that sounds like Skeeter, the little explorer. I've just read that taking your cat visiting is upsetting to them because they are not in their territory. This is what worries me the most---how he is going to handle it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:47 PM

traveling with cats

I have taken my two cats from Michigan to Georgia three times now...that's a 17 hour drive. I purchased a walking jacket on-line and a leash for them. I kept the leash on at all times because I knew when I stopped for gas, they might try to jump out. I have an extended cab pick-up and they rode inside with me the whole way....and besides getting hair all over everything, they did really well.Each time I stopped, I took them out, gave them water.....they didnt really seem interested in eating, but seemed more interested in water. They did alot of sleeping and crawling around, coming up to lay on my lap and look out the windows. I really enjoyed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page