Talking to Cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: How DO You Talk To Your Cats?
Baby Talk 1 2.44%
Regular Talk 8 19.51%
Sometimes Baby Talk, Sometimes Regular Talk 32 78.05%
I only talk to correct them 0 0%
I never talk to my cats. 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Talking to Cats

I am curious about how people talk to their cats. I wonder what most people do. Are you interested in sharing your thoughts? I'll start off.

I talk to my cats in two ways. When I feel very affectionate, or they are being affectionate with me, I tend to go into the "baby talk" mode and talk to them as if we are all complete idiots. When I am correcting them, I speak in a commanding voice and I also explain to them what I want and why I want it, as if they were human. Sometimes I ask them questions (don't wait for the answer). It was strange, but the other day I was typing an e-mail and couldn't remember how to spell a word (I forget which one). Gertrude was sitting next to me on the computer desk and I absently turned to her and said "How do you spell (whatever the word was)?" She stared at me blankly.

I know that cats are highly intelligent, but it is doubtful that they understand the meanings of most words or complex sentences. I do know that they understand tone and tonal differences. Yet there are times when they seem uncannily perceptive. How do you talk to you cats and what have you discovered?

I'm making a little poll (this is my first time) if you want to use that.

I think it's a fascinating subject, hope you do too!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

Sometimes Baby Talk, Sometimes Regular Talk

I walk to her in baby talk when she is being cute or something , but then I talk to her in regular talk too sometimes.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

I'm with you. I do the same. I don't believe cats understand words, but they seem to understand tone of voice and body and facial language.

I have three cats and it seems each seems to know I am talking to that particular cat when we have eye contact, but not when their back is turned. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. How about you other cat owners?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 04:00 PM

Sometimes baby talk, sometimes regular. Since Tiger follows me around to house I figure I can talk to him. Usually I tell him how sweet he is or ask if he's hungry (dumb question, always hungry!) It's nice having someone who isn't too demanding around the house.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 04:08 PM

I'm a combination. When she's cute, I go into baby-talk. When she does something good like ACTUALLY USE HER SCRACHING POST! *gasp* and not the couch, I go into this high-pitched "Good girl! GOOD girl!" as I go and get her a treat.

The funniest part is if I am on the phone with my fiancee and I say something in baby talk to kiera, and Dave thinks I'm talking to him
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 04:46 PM

yup, I talk to my cats both ways. Baby talk when they are being really sweet. But the rest of the time I kind of keep a running conversation with them when I'm home
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Premier Cat

I also voted for both baby talk and normal talk. Often when it is just Velvet and I in the house I tend to talk to her about whatever I am doing. She seems to like it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 PM

I talk to my kitties all the time. I say hi to them when they come into a room, I praise them in the tone you would a toddler, scold them like a toddler...Snowball walks around meowing like he's lost and I call him like he's a human. LOL!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by violina23
The funniest part is if I am on the phone with my fiancee and I say something in baby talk to kiera, and Dave thinks I'm talking to him
That's funny. I especially talk baby talk when I first get home from work, even if I'm on the phone with my sister (I'm usually on the phone with my sister), I'll ask Kitty, "Who's a good girl? Who's my pretty princess?". At which point in time my sister says, "I am, I am".
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:58 PM

I'm another combo. I baby-talk my pets often... usually saying things like, "Who's my pretty girl?" or "How's my big boy? Yes, you my big boy!" My fiance hates it when I baby-talk them. His idea of acceptable baby-talk is "Good boy!" *thumping the dog's side* (we have a german shepherd). I sometimes go overboard.

But I also talk to my pets all the time. My border collie, she's 9 years old now and has been my baby-girl for her entire life. She and I have a very close rapport. So even when I'm training her, it's very low-key and subtle, because I don't need to give her anything more than that, she understands my voice and hand signals. I talk to her and Joey a lot, because they're always nearby... I just chat with them about random things. I tend to also talk to myself when I'm alone, so that's not so strange.

Joey gets a daily, "You're sitting on my papers, you know. Yes, you. I don't WANT to do my homework, but you have to give.. that... here!" as I pry a paper out from under him. The dogs tend to get, "That's my spot. You know that's my pillow. Now move over. Scootch! Scootch!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page