need opinions please, anyone else see a problem here? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

need opinions please, anyone else see a problem here?

i read this on the petfinder site and well, something in it disturbs me

i am not going to say what, i do not want to influence anyone
i guess i need to know if i am being too picky or something
so please tell me what you think:

Notes: (cats name) is a very friendly and loveable boy who will make a great family member. He just wants to be part of the goings-on and can’t wait to climb your holiday tree and drink that delicious tree water! Ash is a big softee so come on in and give him a squeeze!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:34 PM

I guess they thought someone would find it "cute" that the cat would like to climb up the christmas tree? Uhhhh, helloooo! And drink from the tree's water stand? I don't think that is a good idea at all. Someone needs to revisit their marketing skills for this petfinder ad.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

whew! i thought i was the only one! i sent them a ton of information on the dangers of real trees and drinking the water it stands in.

i said that while they might have meant it as a joke, there are plenty of people who would not know that.

they pride themselves on knowing what is *best* for these kitties and carefully screen potential adopters, so i feel they have a responsibility to be just as careful with what they say on their site.

i like this shelter, they do a wonderful job with very little money, but sometimes they say some silly things.

thanks for your response. i was worried i had become too much of a worrywart or something

althea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I agree, completely, Althea.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 05:53 PM

Without seeing the actual link (maybe you can post the address?), it's possible they were kidding? I laughed when I read it, so maybe they're just saying the cats hyper.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 09:17 PM

I totally believe it was intended as a joke, but it just doesn't sound right. Not only could it invite people to believe this behavior is okay, it might also put people off adopting the poor guy because they get the sense it is too active or disobediant. I also wonder about the "come on in and give him a squeeze" comment. I'm sure the whole thing was attempting to be cute, but still.

I found the cat, though:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
He's cute, isn't he? I believe now now it was a joke also, but not wise.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

yeh he sure is a cutie, wish i could adopt him! but my home is full with four females, two of them elderly.

someday, i will get me another boy kitty. the last one stole my heart and then broke it when he had to leave me

sigh
they just do not live long enough
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Cool Cat

I gotta say...It gets VERY hard to continually come up with interesting and eye-catching things to say about cats, especially when you're writing 500+ bios a year. There's only so many times you can say "what a great cat" before all your cats start to sound the same. It's similar to the "how do you make 15 black cats look different?" problem. And no one wants an "average" cat, so they all have to be beautiful and behaviorally unique. It gets really hard when you have a bunch of cats who are calm, loving, and quiet...what the heck do you say about them all? It's so much easier with the special-need and basket-case cats, because at least you have some material to work with besides "sweet and friendly, likes laps," which is a little like "sunsets and walks on the beach" in personal ads.

I'll bet this bio was meant to be cute, but missed the mark a bit. I usually "code" the bios...like: "loves to roam" means "the second we open the cage door, this cat takes off for parts unknown and we have to spend an hour looking for her." (yes, Roxiesocks, that means you!).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife
I usually "code" the bios...like: "loves to roam" means "the second we open the cage door, this cat takes off for parts unknown and we have to spend an hour looking for her." (yes, Roxiesocks, that means you!).
LOL.
What a cute kitty. I hope he finds a forever loving home for Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page