Should I get another cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Should I get another cat?

Hello cat lovers,
So I have a cute little half-Siamese cat named Mimi (male... I know, it's weird!). I work all day and am in grad school some nights, and I live in a high-rise. So obviously, Mimi doesn't play outside and seems pretty lonely. He cries all the time, constantly brings me his toys to play with (cute!), and stalks me as if I were another cat. I grew up in a house that usually had at least three Siamese or Birmans or Tonks or whatever, so I've never really dealt with a single cat before. I'm thinking of adopting a kitten to keep Mimi company all day...
I could easily do so, but I'm a little worried about Mimi. He's very aggressive, and he's quite a biter. I'm afraid if I get a kitten, Mimi would hurt it or be really mad. Mimi's neutered, and a new kitten would definitely be altered before I got it. If you think I should get a new kitten, should I get a three-month old? An older, bigger kitten? A male or a female? Should I try to look for a very laid-back kitten, or another dominating one? Mimi's littermate, Peaches, lives with my parents and gets along quite well with a very laid-back Birman.
I just want Mimi to be as content as possible, and it doesn't seem like he is now. Also, I'm probably (fingers crossed) starting medical school in August, in which case I'll be home even less. Any advice would be totally appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

I think it would be a good idea to get another cat. Cats love to play with each other. You have to sure to get the right cat. I'd suggest a laid-back, easy-going boy cat, a young adult who's big enough to take care of himself, but also young enough to adapt. Then take the introduction slow and easy. If you're not familiar with that, there are some message threads here and lots of article on the web. Just try googling on "introducing new cat".

As far as you being gone a lot, would it be possible to get the new cat sometime when you will be home for a while, say in between terms or something? I think it really helps with the introduction process as well as bonding with you if you can devote 24/7 for a week or so.

good luck on giving some deserving kitty a good home!!

Tim
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
A lot of people would say that since your cat is home long hours at a time, another cat will keep him company. I only have one cat so I can't really offer my advice one way or the other from personal experience.

There are others who will say that since you spend so much time away from home, its not fair to get a new cat (especially kitten) if you'll never be home to pay it any attention.

It could work out for the best or worst. You never really know.

I think its usually recommended that you get a kitten because adults tend to accept them more readily than another adult. However if you're afraid of your cat hurting the kitten, it might not be such a good idea. I'm also fairly certain that opposite sexed cats do better. So I would recommend getting a female. This isn't to say you won't have problems with a female or you will have problems with another male, just a generalization.

Basically, its up to you whether or not you want another cat. If you are going to get one, I think its a very good idea to do it at a time when you'll be home the most. Make the introduction slow and have patience.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do, and good luck!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 10:47 PM

I have a young adult male cat and he is a beautiful strong boy, but we were also gone most of the day and he would get ancy and aggressive when we came home.

So when I found Puma at the pound (dehydrated, malnourished(sp), and suffering from a URI infection) I had to get her. She was 4 months old and after the initial introduction troubles on the behalf of the male king they get along just fine, and our old male kitty is much more affectionate with us and less aggressive, because now Puma and him play, while we are all away.

So I think you shouls certainly get another kitty, but I agree you should certainly find a cat that would best suit you and your kitty. Good luck
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Premier Cat

If you are going to be starting Medical School you will have absolutely no time! My son just started dental school. Up at 6 AM and home by 11 PM after studying and studying the cadavar (1st semister)
I think getting Mimi a companion is a great idea. Its all in the process of the introduction and it can be a sucess. Sometimes it helps if you get the opposite sex of the cat you now have. Lots of good info on this board to help you with the intros
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Banned

I think two boy cats are better. They can roughhouse to their little heart's content. That's the main reason I adopted a third cat, so Rocket would have someone to play with. And boy, do they ever go at it!! Two cats chasing each other from one end of the house to the other sounds like a herd of elephants. But, I'm glad they're having fun in my place!!

Tim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:09 PM

Hey! Cool! I have a half Siamese named Mi' Mi'.....
I just got a Snowshoe Siamese kitten too.
They have not formally met as of yet though.
Good luck to you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:50 PM

Our Snickers is also a Saimese mix...shes a nut...really she is.... We got her because Skittles our grey tabby needed a buddy...Two cats give eachother so much comfort and togetherness...I personally think its a good idea...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Cool Cat

I've also heard that male cats share the same type of play aggression whereas some females don't care for it, and because it sounds like your cat likes to play rough, another male might be better suited for him.

I have 2 males and they like to chase each other around, wrestle, kick and bite. Before I got Baxter, Barnaby used to do that to my arms and legs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Cat

I can only speak from my experience... I had a 4-year old, male kitty and brought in a 9-month female. They get along great! He loves to rough-house, and she loves to play, as she is still quite a kitten. They keep each other great company, as I am at work all day.

I would say another kitty is the best way to keep your cat playful, healthy, and occupied!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page