Organizations who monitor vets and complaints? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Organizations who monitor vets and complaints?

Anyone know of a group like the Better Business Burea, licensing board or something along those lines, etc. that keeps track of vets and complaints against them filed by customers?

I've got a vet for my cats who seems good, but when I ask him questions, I get a bad feeling in my gut. He's pretty nice but always seems to try and rush my questions.

I can't help but wonder if there are many complaints against this guy or other vets in my area.

If it matters, I'm in Arkansas of the USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:45 PM
MA

That's a real good question. I'd like to see a response cuz I'd be interested in that for California especially Northern California.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:58 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
taken from another thread, from Dr. Jean:

Quote:
Anyone who has such experiences really MUST file a complaint with the state board of veterinary medicine. (Their address will be in the government pages in the phone book.) Most likely no action will ever be taken, or at most a written reprimand. However, it is important to file for two reasons:

1. To send a warning. There is no feeling quite like getting a letter with your name from the state board. (I got one once, and it was awful, even though it turned out to be only a request for info on a case filed against another vet where I had also seen the cat.) It's terrifying! And they deserve it. The state board controls veterinary licensing. Unethical vets can have their license suspended or revoked.

2. Even if the board does nothing, if everyone who's wrongly treated would complain, eventually the file on that clinic would become pretty thick, and then action would have to be taken.

If you're feeling particularly creative, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. This would be greatly beneficial in educating other pet owners, who may not know that this is unethical or what to do in such cases, and also let all vets know that this is not okay to do, ever!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
hope that helps

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:28 PM

I would think the Better Business Beauru would work as well as you can type the name of the vet in to get information on them. Be careful, though as I had done the same with the apts. we currently live in, just out of curiosity to see if they had any complaints. I found the exact apt. complex name in another state. I hadn't typed in the management company that OWNS our apts, know what I mean? So, once I did that I got the correct place. You don't want to complain about a vet that might have the exact same name in another state.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
oh... I didn't quite see the exact wording of what you wanted

are you looking TO complain or to find out if anyone has complained in the past? If you just want to find out about them I'm really not sure if you can. I think the best is word of mouth. Of course even then its not really a sure thing on who is being honest.

We had a groomer that we recommended to clients until one day one of our "better" clients came in upset over something, and since that day we took down all of the groomer's cards and won't recommend her to anyone. The worst part? NOBODY knows what happened. No questions asked... just stopped recommending her.

So just be careful about what you believe. And in the mean time you may want to look around for a new vet just in case something does happen and you need help, you can go to someone you really feel comfortable with.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:55 PM

are you in Little Rock by any chance? I lived there for 5 years and I can give you the name of a realy good vet
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

I've just got a curious nature and this vet I've used makes me wonder how good he really is.

He has not done anything to my cats (yet). I'm basically trying to see if he has any negative record with the State or the type Board I described.

I'm not in Little Rock, AR...more in the northeast Arkansas area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page