Will my cat be unhappy in my Studio or 1 Bedroom apt? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Will my cat be unhappy in my Studio or 1 Bedroom apt?

I'll be moving up to northern Cali next month for a job opportunity. I'll be bringing my 7mth old kitten with me. She's very playful and has a great personality.

I will probably be renting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment. I will be working long hours most likely leaving for work around 830 and coming home around 7. So my kitten will have about 10 hours of loneliness.

Will this be a problem for my kitten (or cat)? If so, what are some toys or things I should get?

Should I get a 2nd cat? I'm very hesitant right now to get a 2nd one because I don't want to bear the responsbility of what may come when having 2 cats.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Banned

you sound like a very concerned and responsible person.

I think your kitty will be happy no matter how limited the space, because you will provide a good home and as much loving interaction and affection as you have time for.

Yes, I think in general it is good for a cat to have another cat to keep company. But you acknowledge that would be difficult in your situation. I don't think it would be any harm at all in waiting awhile until taking care of a second cat would be a commitment you're more ready and able to undertake.

good luck and best wishes on your move and new job!!

Tim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 AM

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and work full time, and my Kiera is doing just fine.... but I do think she gets lonely from time to time. But she's a cat and therefore spends a good 95% of that time sleeping anyways

Just be prepared for a lot of hyperness in the early AM and when you want to go to sleep!

If you CAN get another cat, it will probably be the best idea, but for me, that just hasn't been an option.... yet... If Kiera will allow another cat, I might adopt an older one when I get married and (hopefully) move into a bigger place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:12 AM

Yep yep, cats are adaptable creatures, so she'll probably just adjust the times of the day that you are away from the house as sleep time and she'll be wanting to play when you get home (well, as much as a kitten will sleep anyways).

G'luck with your new apt and job =) I may be moving that way soon

Amanda
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:15 AM

We recently moved from a 2 bedroom townhouse to a 2 bedroom apt which is much smaller, but the cats actually seem happier in the apt and we have 4 of them!

We also work long hours and are gone 9-10 hours a day (but then our cats have each other to play with all day). We have lots of hanging toys strung from doors etc as well as some mice and foam balls for them to play with (or drown!).

EDIT spellings
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Cat Addict

Your cat will have plenty of space, don't worry about that. As for toys, just keep buying the usual, but like already stated, your cat will probably adjust his schedule to sleep those times you're not home.

A second cat usually works out well, especially if you're looking for a playmate for your resident cat. This is exactly why I got Elly, and the two of them get along great. In my opinion, two cats is hardly more work than just one. The main concern is tht your food/litter costs will be doubled. The money you have set aside in case of an emergency should also be doubled.

Good luck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Cat Addict

You know, they say to never get a second cat for your first cat. You should get a second cat for yourself, and hope it becomes friends for the first cat.

I can say this is definately true. I got Thomas because I wanted a second cat, not for Kitty. Which is good, because they don't like each other much. But if I had gotten Thomas for Kitty, and not for me, I would probably have gotten rid of him by now.

Also, I had Kitty as the only cat for 6 years before I got Thomas. We lived in apartments, Kitty and I. And I worked long hours. She never seemed to care as long as I fed her, brushed her in the morning before I went to work, and slept with her by my side every night. She spent her days napping and playing by herself and never really seemed lonely, just alone.

I definately think Thomas has enlivened her life, but not necessarily in a good way.

So, a second cat might be good for your cat. But your cat will be fine without a playmate. I'd only get a second kitty if you really want one and are ready for one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Premier Cat

Cats are great pets for studios and small apartments as they are extremely adaptable to their surroundings. Your kitty will do just fine.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom
But your cat will be fine without a playmate. I'd only get a second kitty if you really want one and are ready for one.
true. however, my own experience of getting another cat as a playpal for an existing cat has so far worked out well. I wouldn't have gotten a third cat only for myself.

Tim
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks thanks, you guys are great . very encouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page