New and Need help!! Mom Cat hid her kittens and it COLD!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

New and Need help!! Mom Cat hid her kittens and it COLD!!

There is a cat that I have asked around and guess this is the "neighborhood cat". There is a lady on the other stree from me that feeds her too. My next door neighbor, about 3 weeks ago (or more??), found this cat in her shed with about 3-4 kittens she said. She went back the next day to leave some food for the cat and she had moved her kittens and herself somewhere else.

The cat is around here and there and I have tried following it and I can't find the kittens anywhere. It is like 20ish degrees outside and snowing and I feel sooo bad for this cat. I am worried if I take the cat in that her kittens will be in trouble.

How exactly can you tell on the mom cat if she is still nursing? I can see her tiets (sp?) but they are not hanging down or anything...and they may be hard just cause it is cold outside! lol

Any suggestions????
Thanks!
Jen White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Banned

I think you just have to go with old Ma Nature on this one. keeping care of her babies is mama cat's highest priority. give her the chance to do so.

anybody else have any insight? I've never dealt with mom cat & kittens.

Tim
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 04:35 PM

Just let the cat be, it's the best thing, unless you can take her and her kittens in.

But feral cats have been surviving the cold for a long time, and they know how to take care of their young and protect them... it is odd for a cat to have babies this time of the year htough...

Plus, even if you could take the cat and the kittens in, it might not be much help, the stress could cause her to stop caring for the kittens.

Your best bet, if you really want to help, is to leave food out and to make that shed where she used to be as appealing as you can. Hopefully she will go back to it, or find another suitable shelter.

Or you could call like an animal control, they would know how to care for them properly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page