How talkative (or meowative) is your cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

How talkative (or meowative) is your cat?

I don't know about other cats, cause this is my first cat and I got him as an adult, but my cat constantly talks (or meows), and each meow is very distinctive so I can always tell what he wants. Although, he never meows for no reason.

There is the "demanding-food-meow", when his food bowl is empty and its time, usually followed by a sucking-up purr, and licking.

There is the "I-just-went-in-my-litter-box-so-clean-it-NOW-meow", thats a very distinctive one and meowed right after he goes.

There is the "Its-5-am-why-are-you-not-paying-attention-to-me-meow", which sounds more like "mrow-mrow-MROW-mrow-mrow-MRRROOOWWW!!", follwed by him rubbing his face against my hand or face.

There is the "yes-what-do-you-want-meow", the funniest one, when you come into a room and he is lying down, he raises his head, and utters a soft "mrrrr?", as in "yes?", with a question like tone.

There is the "I-can't-see-you-where-are-you-meow", usually meowed when he walks around the apartment looking for me, or if I am in the bathroom and he stands by the door.

There is the "open-this-door-NOW!-meow", very distinctive and high pitched, and usually follwed by standing on two legs, and pounding on the door with the other two.

There is the "I-am-not-a-toy-I-need-my-freedom-so-stop-petting-and hugging-me-meow", or more like, "mrrrrroooooo", uttered when he is not in the mood to be petted or hugged.

There is the "I-am-sorry-I-wont-do-that-again-(yeah right)-meow", more like a "mooohooohooo-hoo-hooo", uttered when I criticize him for behaving badly, he also crouches and pulls his head in.

There is the "what?-I-wasn't-gonna-do-anything-bad-meow", more like a squeally "mow-mow-mow", uttered when he is about to jump somewhere where he is not supposed and someone notices him before. This is sometimes followed by funny crawling and then turning over on his side, and rolling on his back, saying "I-am-too-cute-for-you-to-be-mad-at-me."

There is the "why-are-those-birds-flying-near-my-window-meow", a very complicated set of sounds he utters when he sees birds.

There is the "talking-with-other-cats-meow", when he sees other cats in the window, he meows very complex combinations, and opens and closes his mouth strangly, while meowing.

I am also told, that when I am not home, he goes around the apartment and meows with a complaining tone, and comes up to people sits in front of them, and meows. They say its like he is asking for me. When I come home, especially after I have been gone long he begins purring like an engine.

What is your cat's vocabulary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Cool Cat

Assumpta never shuts up...this is largely my own fault, because I meow back at her. The first night she was here, she meowed at me, and when I meowed back, her eyes got HUGE, and she started trotting around the house with her tail straight up, meowing...at every meow, she'd pause, and wait for me to reply, then she'd trot someplace else and meow again. I now know that she was saying "Ok, this is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine, and...ok, you can have that, but this is mine..." I felt like the scientists in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," getting a crash course in an alien language.

She's very chirpy in conversation, but her "feed me" meow is like a foghorn ("MAAAAHHHHHHHHWWWWWW!"). She also announces herself with either "murf" or "purf" when she jumps up on your lap. But mostly she chirps and trills at various pitches and volumes. And then there's the hollow meow/yowl ("maahhhwowwwoooowww") that she knows will wake me out of a dead sleep and make me come and get her (the same sound that cats often make before they throw up). She used to be a growler, but now she saves the growls for the vet.

I hate to admit it, but I have little framed B. Kliban prints hung at cat-level in the bathroom around the litterbox (further proof of my catgeekness), and one of them is the one with the common vocabulary of cats.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:37 PM

Suzy has a few different ones, when she calls on Sam it's a very deep and almost demanding meow, when she meows to get some love, it's the most pathetic meow I've heard, it's almost a squeek. She's soo cute when she does that, cuz it's so obvious she's talking to either me or hubby.

Sam sounds the same almost all the time, but he has of course all those "come here", "pet me", "I'm hungry", "Hey, Suzy come and look at this" and just one that say "I'm here, in case someone wonders where I am".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPet
just one that say "I'm here, in case someone wonders where I am".
Oh yes, I know that meow all too well It's Stephanie's personal favorite.

Stephanie: "Meeeeeeeooooooooowwwwwwww."
Me: *runs to see what's wrong* "What?"
Stephanie: "Oh, nothing, I'm fine....." *saunters off*
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:10 PM

lol.
Belfour doesn't meow much. Only when he is hungry and we are walking past where his food goes, or preparing it on the counter. Then he gets very vocal. Occasionally he meows when he has come in the house, kind of like a "HiHowsItGoing" as he runs by.
However, he does make this wierd meowish sound.
We call it the Jawa noice because it sounds like a Jawa. Kind of cooing/meow combo. His mouth doesn't open, just makes this noise in his throat.
I like that sound, it is his talking sound. The meows are usually only when he is hungry.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Banned

I have one cat (Rocket) who's very talkative with a wide vocubulary, like yours, and another who's very quiet (Tommy) with only about three different vocalizations. Of course, he's new and kinda shy, so that could change. It just seems to be the normal variation in cat personality types.

Personally, I think it's more fun to have a vocal cat. They've always got something to say about everything, and it's fun to have a sort of conversation in Cat with them, although I have no idea what we're saying!!

Tim
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:07 PM

Bud and Gray are a 3, maybe a 4 on ocassion on a 1- 10 scale.

When I'm fixing them something to eat, there are some meaows and when they play there are some little chirps too. overall, they are not big talkers at all.

Their meows are pretty quiet too...I've wondered if they have damage to their vocal chords?

Most other cats I've ever been around are pretty noisy compared to mine.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:18 PM

Well, when my cat meows I get up very fast to see what is going on. Not because he is extremely spoiled, he is but thats not why, but because he NEVER meows unless he has a problem or wants something bad. (Like a bug that I'd rather see dead then escape)

I think I hear him meow about 2 times a week.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Banned

Re: How talkative (or meowative) is your cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by facedancer
There is the "Its-5-am-why-are-you-not-paying-attention-to-me-meow", which sounds more like "mrow-mrow-MROW-mrow-mrow-MRRROOOWWW!!", follwed by him rubbing his face against my hand or face.

There is the "yes-what-do-you-want-meow", the funniest one, when you come into a room and he is lying down, he raises his head, and utters a soft "mrrrr?", as in "yes?", with a question like tone.

There is the "open-this-door-NOW!-meow", very distinctive and high pitched, and usually follwed by standing on two legs, and pounding on the door with the other two.

There is the "I-am-not-a-toy-I-need-my-freedom-so-stop-petting-and hugging-me-meow", or more like, "mrrrrroooooo", uttered when he is not in the mood to be petted or hugged.

There is the "why-are-those-birds-flying-near-my-window-meow", a very complicated set of sounds he utters when he sees birds.
Yes, these are the ones that Baby uses!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 04:17 PM

I really liked reading this thread!

Ginza (part Siamese) never really chatted much while it was just him, Mozart, and Kayla. Everyone didn't feel the need to talk much.

Then came Pixie. She's a chatterbox galore. She screams to remind me it's mealtime. She screams when she wants to play. She has an opinion of everything. She likes to announce things, like when she's sitting somewhere she shouldn't be, so she can get some attention. She likes to wail about how bored she is.

So now the other kitties are more vocal. Ginza has discovered his (very loud) voice, and will join Pixie in screaming at mealtimes for food.

Kayla is still very economical with her talking. There's just one sharp meow when she wants something, or scolding me when she's not done with our cuddle session.

Mozart has a silent meow. The loudest he can do is this tiny high-pitched chirp, and he doesn't use it much, just when he's asking for an outside walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page