ack help...can't cut nails!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to clarissa
ack help...can't cut nails!!

so normally cutting lexie's nails is a two person job, but now that the bf has moved away, i'm having to do it myself- though today i realized that i can't, she's being quite the aggressive bugger!! and there's no one in my household competent enough to help is there any way i can do this by myself?? any methods?? i'm worried, because they're razor sharp right now, and i've already gotten a scratch on my face and hands...any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Cool Cat

You might want to try to get her in a very relaxed mode where she's laying and purring. Then try gently massaging her paws and see if you can extend a claw and clip it. Take it gradually, clipping one claw and then taking a break and keeping her relaxed and moving on to the next.

I don't know if this will work because every cat is truly different.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to clarissa
she's not much of a lap kitty, thing is she goes from sleepy/relaxed to alert and *very* defensive/aggressive in a matter of seconds, she's never been comfortable with paw touching. I just can't restrain her and cut her nails at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 02:34 AM

Oh, gosh...sounds like you have your hands full!!!! Our newest cat, Ivan, HATES having his nails cut...HATES it!. Anyway, when I have to do his (actually I had to do them earlier this evening), it is basically a wrestling match. He is a large (10 pound) cat, and I am always amazed at how strong he is. I basically just sit him in my lap, put one arm around him (to restrain him), and use the other to cut nails....but it isn't easy. I usually end up doing one foot, then letting us both take a break, then doing another.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 04:29 AM

The trick is doing it fast and when they're in a lazy mood.
I basically craddle my cat in one arm, face nuzzled against my armpit (poor guy!), and then I swiftly cut them.

I won't let him go until I'm done. If he struggles or tries to bite, I gently bop him on the head, and then he stops long enough for me to finish.

Though each cat is different. You'll need to find what works for you two.
In fact, you may have to wrap him up in a towel and pin him in one arm to cut his nails. Cat burrito!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 09:00 AM

If you simply cannot get her to let you cut her nails while you hold her paws, the vet can also do it, but that can get expensive.
Another idea is to get her leashed/harnassed and go for a walk on the sidewalk. This helps to file down her nails although it is obviously not as good as clipping. It might proove to be less stressful than the old fashioned way. Belfour's nails are not nearly as sharp as when he never went outside.
It is worth a shot.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 AM

When we first got Scully he hated having his clipped, I used to wrap him in a towl or blanket with just the paw I needed out, with him sitting on my lap on his back with his face behind my elbow so it was the worst part he could nip - but usually he just bit the towel!

I don't know if there is anywhere near you that does the same - but at our local pet shop there is a groomer who will clip nails for a donation to the local animal shelter.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissa
she's never been comfortable with paw touching. I just can't restrain her and cut her nails at the same time.
not now, but this is something you're going to have to work at in order to clip her nails. I'd suggest taking her to a professional to have her nails clipped now, since she needs it done right away. then you'll have to work with her over a period of time to get her comfortable with you handling her paws, and eventually clipping her nails. give her lots of love and attention. be sure to tell her what a good kitty she is when she lets you stroke her paws. and have patience. it will take some time, but I'm sure you'll be able to do this eventually.

Tim
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 10:42 AM

if my cats are real sleepy (in the middle of a good nap) I can give their front paws a quick clip...even my guy that doesn't like his nails clipped. I don't pick them up or anything....just take the clippers to the bed/couch or where ever they are sleeping. You could always take your cat to a groomer or vet. They could do it for you and maybe give you some tips about cutting her nails yourself.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Cool Cat

how about wrapping his tightly in a blanket? and having one paw at a time out for clipping? It might work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page