HELP!!! I need my cat to get along with a dog without dying - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

HELP!!! I need my cat to get along with a dog without dying

I am sorry, I know this is long, but if you think you can help, PLEASE READ

Is it EVER possible for a cat and a dog to become just tolerable with eachother? My aunt and myself enjoy bringing our pets to my mothers house for the holidays and get togethers. I frequently take my cat with me anytime I am spending the night. My brothers love her and she enjoys it there, her house is much bigger and she doesn't complain (to filter out the people who may tell me to leave her at home). She runs around the house and plays. really, she likes the travel. My aunts dog (when he comes over) forces me to keep her locked in a bedroom (a good size one that is about the size of my living room) but I feel bad because she is really playful and wants to come out. We have tried to introduce them several times but he always lunges at her or snips at her and I am too scared to see "what will happen" if he gets close enough to sniff. I have let the dog sniff a couple of times, but with someone holding him back on a leash and the cat in my arms, making me think that maybe the way the HUMANS are handling the situation causes his behavior. there are 2 other dogs in the house (that live there) that get along fine with my baby. I will also add that this is not the home of the attacking dog, so it can't be territorial. The dog on one occasion did come into the house (before they met formally) and chased her around the house with what appeared to he hostile intentions. I really would like for them to be in the same room together without my kitty getting hurt. She would leave him alone, it is just a matter of him leaving her alone. please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 02:38 AM

I hate to say this, but I don't think there is much chance. Some dogs are just cat-aggressive, and since they are only together for short amounts of time (it isn't YOUR dog, just one she sees while visiting), the best thing, for all parties, is probably to just keep her locked up if the dog is there. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much chance of getting them to co-exist given the circumstances.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 09:41 AM

You wont want to hear this from me either.....you will have to leave the cat in the bedroom or at home. My cat Bosco was killed by my foster dog in September. I had this dog for 7 weeks or so and I was working on desensitizing him to the cat. (I have immense guilt over this....thats another story)
Dogs who dislike cats are not viscious dogs. They simply have a level of prey drive that is instinct and just a part of being a dog.

I would suggest you talk to you Aunt about rotating the pet visits.I eman taking turns who brings their pets on which weekends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
What kind of dog is it, out of curiousity?

In addition to the prey drive that others have posted about, it's possible that this dog was just never socialized with cats when it was younger. It's very important to socialize a young dog to other dogs, animals, and children. Otherwise, they'll end up being strange to them when they encounter them the first time.

I wouldn't bother trying to socialize the dog now, since it's already intent on chasing cats. If it's over, I would either leave your cat in the bedroom or else ask if the dog can be put away for a little while to allow the cat to come out. Do you know if the dog is crate trained? If so, maybe you could ask that they bring the crate with them, or if the dog is big and the crate not of a travelling size, maybe you could chip in to get it a crate to stay at your mom's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

your all probably right, and I would hate for an accident to occur. I think the dog is a breed of lab, but he is really small for a lab. But my aunt got him when he was 7, so I really don't know much about his background.

This also brings up question of whether or not I will be able to get a dog... I really love dogs, and would like to get one in a few years or so when I am home more steadily and not living in an apartment. Are there certain breeds of dogs that don't get along with cats, or that do (I realize that this is a catforum, but if happen to know).

Thanks for the information, I also looked at other websites, and I have also found info. stating that sometimes it just isn't possible. Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Garfield....You can have a dog. I have 2 cat friendly dogs.
From time to time they need reminders to leave kitties alone....but they are very good dogs.
I would suggest after you research breeds.....it is easier to train them from a puppy.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
If you generalize, there are certain breeds with higher prey drives, such as Northern breeds (huskies, akitas, chows, etc), hounds, and terriers... but there are always exceptions to the rule.

A lot of people suggest getting the dog from a puppy and raising it with the cats, and that's a good idea. Another idea is to go through a dog rescue and find and adult that is used to cats.

I plan on getting a Pit Bull eventually, and it will be at least 3 years old and from a foster home rescue so that they can tell me if the dog has previously lived with cats and how it gets along with them now. I like the idea of saving a mature dog anyway, as they're a lot less likely to find homes.

Plenty of people keep dogs with cats. I have a Chow/Shepherd mix (both breeds tend to have high prey drives), and she gets along great with my cats. She doesn't like them, but she shows that by ignoring them, not chasing them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 04:03 AM

You can ABSOLUTELY have a dog!! I wouldn't go for a specific breed though- I would go to the pound or a rescue. Most of the time they can tell you if the dog is cat-friendly or not. Thats where I got Howie, my retriever/cocker spaniel mix, and he ADORES my cats, and they love him, too. Amazing, considering all of my animals were adults at the time I got Howie, and my cats had never lived with a dog before! Here they are:

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 04:09 AM

I agree, any dog, whatever its breed or un-breed, can get on well with cats. For example, the Greyhound, namely an ex-racer. Not commonly placed with cats, but my friend has three of them with 5 cats, and they live in harmony. I myself have a rescue GSD mix, and a Staffie/Mastiff mix, who both absolutely adore the cats, and the cats adore them.

Ems x
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 AM

Awe you guys that is way too cool.....
My dogs and cats co-exist peacefully....but they do not sleep or lay together. That would be so neat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page