crazy kittens!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

crazy kittens!!!

I could use help training my wild little kittens!!! Any good suggestions for keeping them off counters, tables, and preventing scratching of furniture? The squirt bottle doesn't faze them at all! I would love to hear what has worked for others. Thanks!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

How old are your kittens? Sorry to say but, kittens will be kittens! It may take them a while to grow out of their wild kitten behaviors. As for scratching the furniture, try to get some scratching posts for them and then praise them with treats when you see them using them. Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Oi vey! I have three young cats (technically, one is the mother of the other two, but she's very young). They're just...kittens They have agile limbs, perfect for bounding and climbing, and endless amounts of energy. And clawing is something cats have an instinctive need to do; while they are young is the perfect time to train them on a scratch post

Fear not, this too shall pass...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

crazy kittens

The kitties are about 20 weeks. They are definitely doing all the kitten things -- racing, jumping, clawing, etc.!!! I guess I was spoiled with my last kitten -- he never jumped on tables or counters.

I will try the scratching post/treat method and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can find a way to keep them off the counters

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 AM

Another thing for training with a scratching post: if you see them scratching on something you don't want them to, firmly say no, then pick them up and take them to the post and put their claws on it. Once you have done that, stroke their back and say, "Good [boy/girl]!" You can also give a treat at this point.

The point is to redirect the scratching behavior. Scotty learned not to scratch on furniture within a few days (and I work 8-9 hours a day!).

Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:01 AM

What works for my two when they get on the counters or table is to yell, "OFF!" and/or clap my hands. For some reason 'Uh uh' works, too. LOL!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:03 AM

Forgot to say that the techniques we use, they pretty much stay off the counters and tables now. If there is something they absolutely want they will get up there, but hop right down after "OFF!" is heard.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

We're finding "Oh, no!" is working, too! Those crazy babies are into everything!!! You just have to laugh

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:30 PM

My two are nuts too...water bottle works well with them though...Im sorry I dont have any advice, but I hope it doesnt last forever lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page