What Gender Of Cat Would Be Good? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
What Gender Of Cat Would Be Good?

My mom said that male cats are better then female cats with their temper. I was wondering if a male cat would be better. My mom had a female cats and the female cat scratched my mom's back. S0o, would it be wiser to get a male kitten? Also, what age week would be best to take a kitten from it's mother? Thanks. Catlover_2004.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:57 PM

There's a lot going around that nuetered males are more loving - but on this forum you will pretty much get the "depends on the individual cat" response. I've had lovey males and lovey females, I've had "mean" males and mean females. So I believe the "males are better" thing is mostly nonsense. Personally, I do prefer males (only because neuters are easier than spays - but if you get the cat after altering, it really doesn't matter), but it really will depend almost entirely on the cat. Good luck!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:12 PM

I have 4 male cats.

Bumper is the most loving cat you could find - he follows me everywhere and is really protective over me - but he can be quite aggressive towards people other than myself as (i think) he feels he is protecting me.

Boomer is friendly, but is a loner and likes to be left alone, but is very protective over Bumper and will get aggressive to people or the other cats if they are fighting with/ telling off or anything else with Bumper,

Magnum is plain grumpy and aggressive - he doesn't let the other cats use the litter box sometimes and tends to just growl at nothing, but wouldn't actually hurt anything (except maybe Bumper when they have had too much catnip )

Scully is so sweet - if you make kissing noises he will come up and 'kiss' you on the lips and follows us around the house. I don't think I have ever really heard him growl (except when we introduced the cats - but that is normal) - but I see Bumper as being more loving and friendly.

My neighbour has two female cats and one is very like Scully, follows her everywhere and falls asleep in her arms every night (she is adorable). the other cat she is thinking about getting rid of because of her attitude - he rips the furniture no matter how many scratch posts there are (and she knows how to use them) and hisses and growls at everything and attacks people - but loves the other cat.

It depends alot on breed, how you train them, how much attention you give them, if they have other cats in the house - everything really - just like a person!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Well, my mom had a kitten since she was growing up. I think that males are more nicer. Of course I have never owned cat. But they must be neutered right? Oh, Icklemiss21....maybe male cats aren't nicer. Your right about the breed and stuff. I will do lot's of research. Thanks.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:21 PM

I personally perfer male cats, they seem to suit my personallity better. But that's just my opinion, and I'm sure it differs with every person!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

DenimGravity, your opinion kinda matches mine. I perfer male cats but I just wanted to make sure that male cats are better. Thanks everyone!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

DenimGravity, your opinion kinda matches mine. I perfer male cats but I just wanted to make sure that male cats are better. Thanks everyone! Like I said, I will do more research and let all of you know what I find out. DenimGravity that is my opinion too.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Re: What Gender Of Cat Would Be Good?

You could always go to the shelter and find the cat that best fits your personality, situation, and needs. There are a lot of homeless adult cats who are a lot more predictable than kittens. What you see is what you get, many times. I'm not discouraging you from getting a kitten, of course, because there are homeless kittens out there, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover_2004
Also, what age week would be best to take a kitten from it's mother? Thanks. Catlover_2004.[/color]
Well, if you get the cat from a breeder, the breeder will know best when they're ready to go to a new home. A shelter will, too. They usually start adopting out kittens at 8 weeks old. Some people on here think 12 weeks is best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Cool Cat

It depends on the cat. I've seen both male and female cats that run the gamut from "velcro-kitty" to "wildcat." My only real advice is that spaying and neutering helps a LOT, regardless of the cat's gender.

I might not have picked a female cat if I'd been looking when Assumpta fell in my lap, but now I'd have no qualms about cat gender as long as the cat's personality was a good match for me. I'd say that my shelter favorites are about an even mix of males and females, but they're all pretty similar in basic personality traits, so that (for me) is a better indicator of compatibility. YMMV.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks AmberD! Hey, go to the Lounge & vote if you had a good new years eve or not. Catlover_2004.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page