Need ideas on stress reduction for Zoee - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Need ideas on stress reduction for Zoee

For the last 6 weeks or so Zoee has been licking herself bald I took her to the vet last month and the vet said he believed it was Psychogenic Alpoecia.

Zoee is 9 years old. I moved to Flordia from Michigan and she adjusted after a few weeks. We also had a new puppy at the time that she seemed to adjust to. We moved into our house at the end of October. This licking (balding) behavior started sometime in November.

The vet suggested I try and figure out what is "stressing" her. It seemed like her fur was growing back, but maybe it was wishful thinking. She seems to be getting worse. I really do not want to have to take her back in and have her medicated. Of course I will if I can't figure this out.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on figuring out what could be bothering her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:41 PM

Oh boy, do I EVER have experience with this. One of the babies I used to have licked himself bald from the middle of his sides all the way down to his toes. Anywhere he could reach he licked bald. My vet called it a nervous breakdown but it sounds much like what you are describing.

Meds just made him sleep all day, and he refused to eat, so we had no choice but to take him off of them, and he resumed licking almost immediatly.

We never could pinpoint a specific thing that was stressing him out, so we decided to seclude him, and slowly re-introduce him to the house. We put him inside a large dog crate inside our storage closet, we also spoiled him quite a bit, played with him alot, and made sure he had all the toys and treats we know he liked. He was in there for about a week, we let him out at night for a few hours when the house was totally quiet, we dimmed the lights, and just had some "calm time" with him.

Slowly we started letting him out more and more often, we kept visitors to a minimum, and tried not to change his routine much. I think it took about a month to reintroduce him to the house, but we never did have another problem with him chewing on himself.

If you live in a populated area, you may be able to find a behavior expert in the phone book who can give you a better idea of what is stressing her out with a few home studies.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:43 PM

Oh, one thing that REALLY seemed to bother him was moving furnature, he would totally lose it if we rearanged anything, or cleaned too much, when I went on a cleaning binge and really made the house sparkle, he absoutly hated that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimGravity
We never could pinpoint a specific thing that was stressing him out, so we decided to seclude him, and slowly re-introduce him to the house. We put him inside a large dog crate inside our storage closet, we also spoiled him quite a bit, played with him alot, and made sure he had all the toys and treats we know he liked. He was in there for about a week, we let him out at night for a few hours when the house was totally quiet, we dimmed the lights, and just had some "calm time" with him.

Slowly we started letting him out more and more often, we kept visitors to a minimum, and tried not to change his routine much. I think it took about a month to reintroduce him to the house, but we never did have another problem with him chewing on himself.
excellent!! wow!! you guys ought to write a book!!

Tim
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 03:09 PM

My cousin has a 16 year old Himalayan that has always licked all the furr off his tail...since he was about 1. She lives in a quiet house and has never figured it out.....weird aint it?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Cat Addict

Kitty does this...There's no real question about what her source of stress is. Thomas gives her stress on a regular basis, but if I go away, even for a night, she goes over the edge and the fur flies.

I use feliway comfort zone and don't travel. Her fur had almost all grown back in when I went away for work, only overnight, but she still managed to get rid of a nice section, but it's slowly growing back.

I also give her fish oil/safflower oil and vitamin E. Which is supposed to be good for skin/fur. She has dandruff and the skin she licks get all red and scabby. When I give her the supplements, her skin returns to that nice light pink color.

Either way, just wanted to let you know that others suffer from the same affliction.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

It is frustrating because they can't tell you what it is that is bothering them. Not to mention that she is 9 years old and has never experienced this before.

I just ordered the obsession remedy from spirit essences. Hopefully it will help.

I'm still trying to determine what is stressing her out. I think if anything it may be the puppy. She was never bothered by the addition of my other cats, but the puppy is a little bit different than another kittie

Hopefully the spirit essenses will work. If not it is back to the vet for Zoee.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

It seems that her skin is proabably itchy and uncomfortable. Anyone know what I could give her?

Kitty's mom....do you think the supplements you use would help? How much do you give them?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:19 AM

One way I keep my kitties calm is to play soft and calm music while I am not around.
Not sure if that would help in your case though. Good luck with the Spirit Essences!

<3
Roze
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodgrl
Kitty's mom....do you think the supplements you use would help? How much do you give them?
I wanted to put something on her bald spots because the skin looked so dry and irritated, not to mention scabbed. So I posted to Dr. Jean about Moistureizer, which I knew wouldn't work...but didn't know what else to do. Dr. Jean pointed me to an article that recommended Fish Oil or Safflower oil (Those contain Omega-3 and Omega-6 acids, which are good for the skin). But if you give those things you also need to give Vitamin E. Let's see....This is what I ordered, but there are lots of different options out there available:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=3456

I ordered the liquid. The only problem is I'm not sure if I'm giving the right amount. I just followed the directions on the bottom. Kitty is supposed to get half a pump (how do you do a half pump!) I do think it's helping though, her skin looks less irritated since I started giving it to her (about 3 weeks ago). I'm still waiting for her dandruff to go away though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page