I'm going to kill Magnum - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to kill Magnum

He is one of his grumpy moods.

He is hissing at everything. Timeouts are not working. Last night he knocked over 2 of the litter boxes and kicked litter (and other contents) all over the place.

He pawed at our door all night (we locked him out because he was so bad the last few nights and wouldn't stop walking up and down the bed and meowing).. He won't let any of the cats eat. And he is just generally being a pain!

Any ideas on what I can do to calm him?

And here was me worrying about behavioural issues with the kitten at work!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Jr. Cat

He sounds like a handful

I don't know if this would help but I have heard of something called rescue remedy to calm ferals down when they are captured. Also Dr. Foster and Smith sells this type of air freshener that is like aromatherapy for cats it is supposed to calm them down. It is a little bottle that you refill when empty , I am not sure if it electric or not. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Premier Cat

If you talk to dr jean she has various solutions which may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I cleaned it all up and he did it again - right in front of me - he is getting in the box and leaning against the side (not using the box at all) until it falls over!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

how about a larger box, and a high-sided or covered box? if you can't change the behavior, you have to thwart it. after all, we're humans. we're more devious, right?

Tim
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

We bought a covered box and he wouldn't use it. The boxes we have are high sided and larger (they are rubbermaid packng type boxes rather than the typical shop litter boxes - and so far that has stopped him (we had this problem a while back but the high sided box seemed to fix it - if we buy one any higher, then I don't think Scully will be able to get into it - he doesn't jump very well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

There's a litter box made by Rubbermaid with 10 1/2 in. high sides on three sides, and a lower side on the fourth. The lower side is also curved, making it easy to pour used litter out. It's available at Petsmart. It's really worked well for me. Prevents throwing litter out, also encourages one-way entry/exit, if placed strategically.

Tim
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I guess I will go and find one of them - I was also thinki8ng of getting velcro patches and glyuing them to the floor and bottom of the box - might stop him.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:53 PM

WOW....What a stinker! Geeze!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM

One of the first suggestions I have is to talk to an animal behaviorist (the phone is fine) at your local shelter. They usually have some good ideas that even we don't think of. How old is your cat? How long have you had him? What's he hissing at? Simone (my female cat) we're guessing wasn't socialized properly as a kitten and now has fear aggression. I talked to a behaviorist and she gave us some suggestions on what to do. Things we didn't even think of. Simone hisses at mainly women and we need to break her of that habit. There are some other behaviors were trying to change as well. So, maybe give them a call and see what they suggest to break the behaviors.

I don't know if this will do any good, but there is a thing called Feliway...it's supposed to help calm a cat down when there might be a stressful situation. I don't know that this would help your situation. Feliway is sold as a spray and also as a plug-in that only cats can smell.

When we first got Snowball he wouldn't share with Simone. He always pushed her out of the way when I'd feed them. I started filling her bowl first and would just make him wait and fill his bowl 2nd. Now he's to the point where he will sit and wait til you fill his bowl without shoving her out of the way. Maybe you need to feed your cat separately from the rest. Maybe make up food bowls in a few different areas so he can't be at all of them at once.

As far as the litter, did you recently switch and he doesn't like it? Is it maybe too dirty for his liking? How often do you scoop it? Maybe scooping more often will help. Maybe try getting his attention when you notice him start to tip it and get him interested in something else. I don't know what else you can do, cause if you scold him or squirt him with water he might associate the litter pan as bad and not use it at all. I don't know that this would help, but it could be a possibility if you just recently got him. Someone I know was telling me she has a cat that will not poop and pee in the same pan. One pan is for peeing and one pan is for pooping. With multiple cats this could be a problem, but is it possible this is why he's tipping the pan?

Another thing to keep in mind, working with a cat is a lot like working with a 2 year old kid. How you treat them will determine how they react to you a lot of times.

Keep us posted what happens with your kitty. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page