how much do your cats weigh? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

how much do your cats weigh?

I was just wondering how much your cats weigh and do you consider them overweight? Is there such a thing as a big boned cat - the vet called Bumper big boned - but he is more tall than anything else (although he does have to lose a few lbs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Bailey is 16 lbs now.
Sammi is 17 lbs.

They are definitely on the heavy side, despite the strict diet I keep them on.

<3
Roze
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:57 PM

I've never heard the term big boned (for a cat anyhow), but have had many large male cats that were not overweight. They were just big and muscular. Charlie is the same way, large (looks even bigger due to his Maine Coon coat) and muscular. He's 5 months old and weighs 9 pounds. His paws are pretty big, the vet said he'll be a large kitty when he's grown. You can see him below next to my 90 pound dog for perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Nya is definatley NOT overweight. Infact she could comfortably gain a few more. Right now she's 7lbs. I have been TRYING to fatten her up, but she just can't seem to gain weight past 7 or 7.5lbs The vet said she'd be best at around 10 for her body type.

Now my parents cats... Boots is 16lbs I think. But he's not overweight, the vet always comments that he is all muscle. He's the strongest cat I've ever seen! And then there is Puss. He's around the same weight, i think, and he's pudgy, yes. He could use to lose a few, but my parents won't listen to me when i tell them that dry food won't help the situation...

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Rocket: 6 months old, 10 pounds
Mellie: 8 months old, 9 pounds
Tommy: 5 months old, 6 pounds

there's definitely such a thing as "big boned". Tommy is, and he's going to be a big cat when he grows up.

a cat's weight is going to depend on 1) breed, 2) gender, 3) genes, 4) nutrition.

"ideal" weight is going to vary then from one to another. as an adult, probably the best indication of ideal weight is their shape; i.e. what they look like, not what the scale says.

Tim
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Bumper is 18lbs (he needs to be 15-16 according to the vet)

Boomer is 14lbs (he is the smallest but is all muscle).

Magnum is 13lbs (and huge from his fur ).

Scully is 21.5lbs and has been on a strict diet since March when we got him at 30lbs (he still needs to lose some weight)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:11 PM

i havent heard the term big boned either. Even though I'm no expert.. maybe go to the vet and get him looked at? My boyfriend thinks that our cat Angel is fat but she's not shes a very fluffy tabby lol she looks all fat but isnt.. she's gawjuz
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
i agree with Tim about shape. When I was in the vets office for Nya's pre-spay exam, I noticed this nice chart on the wall with drawings of cats and dogs viewed from above. They had it ranging from Very overweight to Very Underweight. You could tell by their middle, and wether it went out or in. But the drawings were more useful than my description. It was a neat poster.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 PM

Zoee 14.5 lbs (down from 19.2 lbs)
Lamar 12.2 lbs
Zack 10.6

I think weight varies alot. Someone once told me that the average weight was 6-10 lbs. I'm not sure how true that is. I know that Lamar dropped alot of weight between moving and the wet food diet. He didn't look nearly as healthy as he does at 12 lbs. Which is the weight he has been for years.

I beleive there is a big boned (although I have never heard that term used for cats) cat or at least a bigger cat. Zoee has always been big and I couldn't imagine her at 10 lbs. I don't think she would look healthy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:09 PM

I think Madison weighs about 5 pounds. That's about 2.27 kg and 0.36 stones, LOL

She's 6 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page