Question: Cat re-location? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Question: Cat re-location?

Hello all - my friend "Bean" told me about this place.

I am relocating to a land far-far away. The flight is 24h with a 6h stop-over right in the middle.

Has anyone ever taken a flight like this with their cat? Tell me about it. I need advice.

Do you guys like the Sherpa Ultimate Carrier? Any modifications I can perform to make it a better trip for my cat?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Cool Cat

No one has any thoughts?

The Sherpa carrier is one of those vinyl ones - like a carry-on bag.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Sorry I have never traveled with my cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I am confident that the logistics of the trip will be fine. But I worry about the stress caused by being in a carrier for up to 30 hours.

Has anyone here ever had to leave their cat in a carrier that long for any other reason? She's a small cat.. and is very peaceful.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:28 PM

24 hours! Are you coming to Australia or Asia??

I am intending to move my cats too..but it's only a 5 hour flight. I have no experience in regards to such a long flight...It is great that you r taking her along with you though. I really hope that you will make it smoothly. Have you checked with the particular country's Customs and Excise Dept?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Moving from Canada to U.A.E. - not incredibly far from down under ( relatively speaking ).

There's really no way I'm willing to give her up. I have to get a clean bill of health, give her shots ( she's indoors only, she has never had them before ). I need an import permit as well. A bit of work and expense, but well worth it, IMO.

I wish it was only 5h! : )
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

PS - where you taking your cat?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 06:59 PM

ooh im goin to the UAE this weekend, to Dubai. WHere will you be going? My bf wanted to bring his jack russell back but he said the new ruling states that all animals have to be quarantined for 30 days..So do check it out again or call the customs department.

im bringing my cats from Perth, Australia to Singapore. I know it's crazy, some of my family members don't understand the expense I'm goin thru'. They are like my own flesh and blood, and it's hard for them to understand. There are no quarantine restrictions for animals coming in from Australia, UK, and Ireland.

I hope all goes well for you...because i will be making the move this July when I move back to Singapore for good.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 PM

IS there any calming medication that the vet could give the cats.....is it going to be 30 hours with no break?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Dubai is exactly where we're headed. I like it there just fine!
Have you been there? There are thousands of feral cats.. you should bring some treats for them - they will accept it.

It's about 24-30h total. Air France says it's cool to bring your cat as a carry-on.

Many vets suggest not drugging your cat... I'm here for more advice on the matter. We'll do anything to make it better for her.

The research I've done says nothing of a quarantine. Just an import permit and clean bill of health. I'm all ears though.. what are you doing to make your trip easier on your cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page