Dental treatment - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Dental treatment

Hello everyone!I'm hoping for some advice.I have a 7 year old diabetic cat that is going for a dental tomorrow.Now he's on one unit a day, but my question is at what time do I stop feeding him at midnight or do I let him have his food until breakfast time?I'm going in with him at 11 but it'll be at least one or two when he'll have the procedure.Thanks xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

Hi Alison - this topic might get more replies if it's reposted in "Health and Nutrition". I'm interested in the answer, too. Sorry I can't help out. For humans, it's usually 12 hours.

Tim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:17 PM

How many hours did the vet say to be NPO? If it's 6, then leave it out until about 4 or 5 am. If he said NPO after midnight, don't leave anything (water or food) out for her. I'm assuming this is what your asking right? If water is fine,t hen just leave the water out and take the food up.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!I'm sorry Manda-chan, but I don't know what "NPO" is.The thing is the vet wasn't there when I made the appointment, and I forgot to ask what they wanted me to do.And theres no-one there until tomorrow 8.30am
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'd say take up the food really late tonight, then call first thing in the morning and ask them about it. Since the surgery is later in the afternoon, you might be able to give him a few nibbles before you bring him in.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda-chan
How many hours did the vet say to be NPO? If it's 6, then leave it out until about 4 or 5 am. If he said NPO after midnight, don't leave anything (water or food) out for her. I'm assuming this is what your asking right? If water is fine,t hen just leave the water out and take the food up.

Amanda
I know its too late, but I just wanted to add that although its fine to starve cats overnight before a procedure, you should not deprive them of water for this long, especially a diabetic!

Ems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page