Which cat breed do you recommend?? PLEASE HELP - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Which cat breed do you recommend?? PLEASE HELP

Please help..which cat breed do you recommend?? A Korat or a Russian Blue?? please email me at [email protected] i would appreciate it a lot..thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:37 AM

well...

I'm afraid that is a very personal choice, without knowing your circumstances for wanting a cat nobody can even suggest a breed. What personality traits are you looking for?, are looks important?, how much independance are you wanting the cat to have? all very important questions.
Good luck with your search, but one word of advice unless you are looking to breed or show I would say there are lots of beautiful and loving cats in shelters everywhere please consider looking there you may find that one of them has a personality that chooses you-regardless of their breed
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:26 PM

There is no way anyone can tell you which breed of cat to get. It would be like telling you how to live you life. I have had many different breeds of cats over the past 50+ years and there are good and bad about each one.
To be honest I really prefer the common domestic alley cat. All 7 of my babies have been someone elses throwaways. And I wouldn't trade for any of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:27 PM

I would recommend a persian or a himalayan because they dont go outside so there is less of a chance that theyre hit by a car, they love to cuddle up with u, they will go to sleep right next to u, they will follow u around, they are very squishy and cuddley and very cute
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey

CatzRule, what you just described is any breed of cat, including mutts. It's not just true of Persians or Himalayans
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzRule
I would recommend a persian or a himalayan because they dont go outside so there is less of a chance that theyre hit by a car, they love to cuddle up with u, they will go to sleep right next to u, they will follow u around, they are very squishy and cuddley and very cute
(Well, we've had Persians and Persian mixes come in as strays many times, so someone's letting them out. Any breed of cat can and will go outside if offered the opportunity, and any breed of cat can live happily indoors.)

I'd suggest researching the different breeds and finding out what kind of cat would best suit you and your lifestyle. And unless you have a particular reason for wanting a purebred, check out shelter cats, or even breed rescue for the breed you select. It would mean giving a home to a cat who really needs and deserves one. If you do decide to buy a purebred, please research breeding practices and check out breeders to find a responsible one, and don't buy from a pet store.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I have been researching about cats that like to cuddle and like having a lot of attention..those kinds that are always by your side..basically i dont want a kind of cat you never see like..there always hiding someplace. Can any breed of cat be a hider like that??
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Cool Cat

So much depends on the cat as well as your personal living situation. If you have a quiet, stress-free home, a cat will feel more comfortable and relaxed, but if there's constant commotion, kids, dogs, loud music or TV, a cat will be more likely to keep to itself in the quietest spot possible.

I meet a lot of cats, and they're each pretty individual...I have shelter kitties who are absolutely desperate for human contact, and would curl up for a nap inside you if only they could, and I have ones who could care less if there's a human around, thanks all the same. Cats are pretty individual, and although there may be "tendencies" for a breed to be a certain way, it ain't necessarily so. For example: Maine Coons are "supposed" to be gentle giants and clownish, almost dog-like in their desire to please. The one I had growing up was a vile-tempered, aggressive cat (she was a failed breeding queen and had come from an unhappy home before us). The rescued MC-type mix I have now is far more like the Maine Coon that you read about than the purebred I once had (no laughing in the peanut gallery).
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

The noise

Im 13 and i have one sister that is 17 but she is always at work or with her friends, my parents are always working too. So basically im always home alone. I have 2 dogs though and they like to bark a lot. I also have another cat, we found him meowing in a bush. He was way to skinny and would have died. He has the whole basement to himself (its huge) but he will come over and sit on your lap and let you pet him and will also rub his head against you. He likes to be held but will meow when he wants to be left alone. I dont know what breed of cat he is, but he is orange and has like those butterfly markings and those are like a creamish color, his hair is also short. He is a very nice cat..unlike all the other cats ive been with. Not that they were mean..just different than him. He handles the dogs noise really well.
What im really looking for is another cat like him, but i really love that silverish color on the russian blue. But for some reason that breed just gives me a feeling like its a everythings my way like dont touch me ill bite you. Basically like what some people say about siamese cats. I did meet 2 they were really nice and wouldnt leave me alone haha. So the rumors arent always true. So what im getting is its mostly luck?? Since every cat basically has its own personality not put into groups..its just luck how your cats personality becomes??
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Cool Cat

Some luck, some genetics, and some upbringing. I'd suggest visiting your local shelter and meeting some of the cats they have there. Explain your situation, other pets, and what you're looking for and see if they have any suggestions (you'll need your parents to sign off on the paperwork, and the shelter will probably want to talk to your vet to make sure that all your other pets are spayed/neutered and up-to-date with their vet care). You might find a great cat in a shelter (I can think of...consulting this week's shelter list...about 35 that I'd like to bring home myself ).

Purebred cats can be a bit more predictable in their behavior/attitude, but even so, there are wide variations within the breed (and they are expensive to buy and maintain, and many breeds have predispositions toward certain medical issues). IMO, a lot of cat personality to do with how they were raised by their mother for those first 6-8 weeks, and I think that they revert to that basic upbringing when they're upset or confused. That's just my opinion, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page