'Toilet Training' your cat/kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiaZ Send a message via MSN to ChiaZ Send a message via Yahoo to ChiaZ
'Toilet Training' your cat/kitten

Has anyone ever tried to toilet train their cat/kitten?
I've been seriously been giving it some thought for Kahlua, and shes only 5 months old, and I thought it would be better to try early then when shes older, I know its a gradual process but I think she might be ok with it.
Any thoughts?
Does it ACTUALLY work?

Chiara
~~ mommy to Kahlua (as of Oct 25/04)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Apparently if you have tons of time, tons of patience, and tons of tollerance for kitty errors, I hear that the training process is incredibly doable! There are even some products out that can help you (things that fit on the toilet to help make it easier).

Honestly, I do not have the patience, and I don't want to deal with any mistakes that Kiera might make, so I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM

Do you mean actually going on your toilet? Eeew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

No, I think she means going in the toilet. I don't think its disgusting at all. Baby goes either outside or in the litter box. We don't have the money, patience or time to train her, plus we need our toilet.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Banned

keep us posted on your progress, if you decide to give it a try. for myself, it sounds like too much hassle to be worth it. I'll just be content with scooping and bagging.

Tim
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:11 PM

I didn't mean it is disgusting

I just can't imagine my cats going in my toilet...I'm not a huge fan of cleaning litter trays, but it kinda comes with the cat...

Ems x
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I've never tried it and have no desire to do so.

But from what I've heard, it takes a LOT of time and patience. Not to mention how easily its reversed in situations where there isn't a toilet present. If you had to board them for a few days if an emergency came up... I hear you have to retrain them from the ground up.

Also, cats have a natural instinct to dig and bury their waste. The toilet training goes against their instinct. I've just heard a few things about it though, so don't take what I say as absolute fact, but it seems like it isn't worth the time you put into it.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:22 PM

I think if I had a spare bathroom...I might give it a try.
But we do not have a spare bath. Let me know if it works.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Years ago I tried to train Zoee and my roomates cat (another Zoe). I have a book....how to toilet train your cat. I also got the clear cover thing you put over the toilet.

It was a long process and in the end it didn't work. When it finally came time for them to try the toilet the were both stepping on the clear cover thing and falling through. They were kind of freaked out. Neither one had went to the bathroom for quite some time and they were walking around crying in the area I used to keep the litter box. I finally just put the litter box back.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Cat

It is doable, my aunt's cat was trained to use the toilet but i dont think that all cats are willing to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page