Annalysing my first 100 days with Vequi (long post) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Annalysing my first 100 days with Vequi (long post)

After 100 days with what has been my first cat-ownership experience, I've given some thought to the whole process, and the balance is not a negative one, though not as possitive as I expected. Just FYI, Vequi is now eight months old.

1. At the debate of who's friendlier - male or female, after owning a female cat I can comfidently say: males are friendlier. It seems like Vequi loves me: she follows me throughout the house, rubs against my legs, plays and sleeps with me. The problem is that she loves, but doesn't want to be loved back! She runs away when I kiss her or blink my eyes at her; she has little tolerance to petting, she only rubs and purrs when she wants food; and no sitting on my lap - one of my greater expectations when I decided to get a cat.

2. I've failed in getting Vequi to eat wet food with acceptable habits. I'm tired of wasting money by serving her a third of a can at once, and still having to throw away most of it after more than 30 minutes without she eating it.

3. I haven't had to deal with severe behavioral problems, like urination outside litterbox, aggression or house breakage. Also, she has been quite flexible with change. But I have not succeeded on getting her to restrain from playful biting. My biggest success (and I can't count on it being permanent) is that I've managed to stop her from waking me up before 7:00 AM.

4. She has become more open to other people when they come to visit, or at least she doesn't run and hide anymore, but that doesn't mean she's actually social.

That's about it for my first 100 days of cat ownership. I've thought about the possibility of getting a second cat, one that can love me and let me love him the way Vequi doesn't, but I don't see that happening. I'm not taking chances regarding whether or not Vequi would accept him, or whether a new cat will be the uber-friendly companion I expected, or if I get disappointed again on that matter. Whatever happens, I still plan to keep Vequi for years to come, hopefully until we get separated by the inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Sounds good so far As far as the male/female thing, no offense, but unless you've owned several cats of both sexes, you can't say one is friendlier than the other. You just got yourself an aloof little princess She's only 8 months old, so things may continue to change...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the male vs female thing is just an opinion - kinda like the father who only has girls would tell you boys are easier to raise when asked "Who's easier to raise, boys or girls?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Well, I'm a little biased too I have all girls (and not one of them is the same as the other )
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Cool Cat

I've noticed that a lot of cats go through an adolescent period where interaction with humans has to be on their terms. They don't mind petting if it's their idea, but don't want to be approached and patted or held...so Vequi may still come to be a friendlier kitty. It's a little like teenagers not wanting their parents to hug them in public.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Banned

I'm willing to bet that if you got a boy cat of about the same age for your girl cat to play with you might notice some positive changes in the behavioral characteristics you desire in your girl cat. Anybody else experience this?

The reason I say that is that I think Mellie, who started out being pretty aloof, is considerably more social now. I don't know if that's just that she finally got used to me and my weird human ways, or if she feels the competition for attention with the other two boy cats and therefore has decided to hit me up for some of her own attention, however she can get it.

Tim
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:07 PM

You know, your kitty sounds a bit like my Kiera. I, like you, am also a first-time cat owner (first time owner of any mammal, i.e. not fish). I also had those expectations of a kitty who cuddles with me all the time. I took a chance on a kitten at a shelter, and I took in Kiera.

Kiera can sometimes be antisocial... she doesn't always seem to care when I'm trying to play with her (until I got daBird! Score!), when people come over, she will hide under the bed until the intiial comotion dies down, then come in, walk around, do whatever she wants. She only tolerates petting sometimes, and has been known to cry as if i'm slowly murdering her wheN I pick her up.

But... I really love her and having her around! In the mornings and right when I get home, I sense that she loves me too. She'll be right there at the door to greet me, will purr and rub against me, and will even let me pick her up and cuddle her when I first walk in! In the morning and late at night, she'll be right on my bed, rubbing against my hands. She won't necessarily sleep on me, or crawl in my lap (something I was hoping she'd do!), but she'll typically curl up in a ball next to me on my bed for most of the night. She chirps and squeeks makes all sorts of happy inquisitive noises, she makes me crack up when she crawls into the funniest places for nap, or does back-flips for daBird... and that tail is always straight up in the air, so I'm pretty sure she is a happy/confident cat.

Not all cats are lap-cats, but when we take in kittens, we never know. I think Kiera has gotten a bit more subdued the past month or so (she is a little over a year old now), so maybe there is hope yet for Kiera and Vequi to become cuddlekitties And if not, we'll love them anyways!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Oh, here is an up-to-date picture of Vequi. Her coat is changing colors!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:39 PM

She is a beautiful girl!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Same like my Baby. Not a cuddle cat. Likes cuddling on her own terms. Doesn't like to be picked up for a long periods of time. Likes playing more, sleeping & food . She was a feral cat too. I hopes she becomes more cuddly when she gets older (shes 2). But who knows .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page