? about Automatic Litter Box . - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

? about Automatic Litter Box .

I was wondering bout....
1.What cat litter do you need to use with that?
2. (I have 2 male cats)Should I get a cover for that so they dont kick the litter out?
3. Which one should I get also for the two cats?
4. Does it really help on keeping the odor down?
5. Just any one's thoughts on that.
thxs ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Cat Addict

I have a littermaid litterbox:

1.What cat litter do you need to use with that? Tidy Cats Scoopable with crystals
2. (I have 2 male cats)Should I get a cover for that so they dont kick the litter out? I don't like the cover that you can buy for it (I think it'd be too hard to get off to clean the box) but a different/homemade cover might be a good idea.
3. Which one should I get also for the two cats? Some cats don't like automatic boxes, so be sure to get it somewhere you can return it. I like the littermaid. I've owned two and have had a littermaid for the past 5 years.
4. Does it really help on keeping the odor down? I think so.
5. Just any one's thoughts on that. You should do a search for automatic litterboxes. Lots of people have posted their opinions of them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 AM

I heard yesterday that they are not good for a multi cat households. Something about one cat getting in and doing his job and then the the automatic scooper turning on when another cat is in the litter box.
I guess it is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I don't think the scooper would go on when another cat was in it. Its on a timer so after so many minutes past when the cat exited, the scoop comes on. But there are motion sensors that restart the timer when another (or same) cat enters.

So the motion sensors would see that there is another cat in the box and not do anything until the cat left.

I've never used one myself, but I've heard covers aren't all their worth. They hide the smell from YOU, but the smell inside the box is super concentrated and the cat has to deal with it... usually by not using the box.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 PM

littermaid

I've had 2 littermaids in the past 4+ years. I have 3 cats that use it regularly (including the one who is living 60ft up a tree currently). I destroyed the first one when it was about 2yrs old by accidentally getting the motor wet.
The littermaid directions say NOT to use litter that has crystals in it, so I use a clumping litter with no crystals. I have found the best (and I've tried most of them) is Scoop Away for multiple cat households.
I have never seen it try to come on when there is a cat in the box, so I'm assumming that the sensor was doing it's job.
With 3 cats, I generally change the receptacle 2-3 times a week.
The biggest factor is keeping the litter level to the right level, if it gets too low the scooper can't clean correctly.
I only have to take it apart and scrub it every other month. Other than that, I just clean the exposed areas with spray cleaner and a paper towel once or twice a week.
Hope this helps,
Annette
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I love the littermaid! I use Arm and Hammer litter-scoopable. As others mentioned, a lid on any litter box makes it smell stronger to the cat. I would always get the mega sized littermaid for two or more cats. I have never had any problem with mine; the sensors keep the rake still if it senses motion. I've had one for about five years, and finally replaced it because someone insisted on filling it too full. That's hard on the motor. However, I liked it well enough to buy another. I've had no problems with it at all! Make sure you get the mega size!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 PM

i bought the mega large one (most expensive one they had at petsmart) and didn't like it at all... my cat seemd to enjoy watching the raking, but it was a pain to clean up, especially when there are feces smeared against the plastic and u have to chip it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page