ANTS! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

ANTS!

My boyfriend and I just got back from 3 weeks in England to find ants on the floor of our kitchen...EVERYWHERE. They are coming out of the baseboards.......it's really creepy! They are really small black ants.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a cat friendly way to get rid of these ants? They are driving me nuts. It's actually getting worse because this morning I noticed they were all around our bed too (we dont' use a bed frame, so the box spring sits right on the floor). YIKES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

do you have food sitting out anywhere? usually ants come in because a scout ant found a food source and told his buddies about it. eliminate the food source, and the ants go elsewhere. this takes time and good housekeeping, though.

any kind of ant killer would certainly be bad for cats. although from your msg, I guess you already know that.

I'm going to keep watching, because I'm curious to find out if anybody here does come up with a good suggestion. not that I have ants now (it's winter), but you never know....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:42 PM

We used to get ants come in and go in our cats food bowl. We had to spray my daughter's dresser with Bayer Advanced Home Pest Control. Indoor and Outdoor Insect killer. It worked. Of course, we removed the food bowl from the room before we sprayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:08 PM

An old trick we used to use in the south is to sprinkle uncooked grits in the area where the ants are tracking. If they eat the grits it should kill them... don't know for sure that it works but might be work a try.

-Cheryl
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Cool Cat

ant traps would work best. those triangle shaped ones - ants come in, and don't come out
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:15 PM

http://cats.about.com/od/housekeeping/qt/antcontrol.htm

There are some good suggestions in that article.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

I doubt if they even sell grits in Ontario. I know the grits you can buy here in Wisconsin are crap, compared to what I used to eat when travelling down south. I like grits; esp w/gravy!! (that red-eye stuff, do I remember that right? it's been too long)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM

Try Terro...thats what I have been using. There was a post somewhere about someone else having ants too.

The ant traps I was using worked on the black ants I had, but not the ghost ants I had. So you may be able to just use the ant traps. My kitties never bother them when I put them down, plus you can put them behind and underneath things so the cats can't get to them.

I spent a week or two caulking every crack and crevice in my house and that seemed to help to. When I did along the base boards the ants were pouring out!!

Just remeber if you use the ant traps or Terro you can't kill the ants when you see them or use raid or anything. If you do then they can't get the stuff back to the nest and it won't work.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:23 PM

i watched a show the other day bout killer ants...........i no its probably not wats in ur house but i heard that they kill like 1000000 bugs a day.......mayb they came to ur house to kill some big bugs? where do u liv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page