How do I make my window safe? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

How do I make my window safe?

Hi

I've been reading this forum ever since I got my little Denzel when he was 5 weeks old. He's 14 weeks now and soooooooooo beautiful.

Anyway, I live in a first floor apartment and Denzel's decided he likes to jump on the windowsill. In summer it gets really hot so I like to keep my window open. I have a flywire screen but if you push on it slightly it can pop out pretty easily, so now I keep it closed coz I would hate to think what would happen if he leant against it too hard.

How would you fix this problem? There's no need to replace the old screen because its not broken, it just needs to be made kitty-safe.

Thanks for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
If you push it pops OUT, like outside? That seems really unsafe, and really easy to break into... we have screens that you pull IN to remove. Maybe you can ask the landlord of your apartment about them?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Its safe as in breaking in. The window doesn't look out onto a balcony and there isn't a tree right outside my window, there's no way anyone could climb up to the window - they'd have to be prepared and bring a long ladder.

I've contacted a few security door and window companies and basically theres no point in replacing it because it would fit in the same way as the old one.

I'll try to figure out some way to lock it so thats its safer for him.

Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I have these types of windows at my parents house. We learned the hard way, when one morning, after the windows had been left open on a hot summer night, Boots was missing. Then when my dad went to move the car to go to work, he found the screen sitting on the hood (window over the driveway, on the second floor, above garage). Boots had pushed the screen out and escaped. Thankfully he came back the next day, but we were VERY worried.

The only solution we'd found, is just opening the window only a little bit, at least when the cats aren't supervised. Like not big enough for their head to fit through. We've done this ever since the incident, and havn't had any escapes since!

good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Thats the situation I'm really worried about, and especially since I'm on the first floor.

I've called "Hire-a-Hubby" and a handyman is coming out to see if he can put a reinforcement on the outside of it. Its summer here now and it gets extremely hot and with no air conditioning you need the windows open.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashka
Thats the situation I'm really worried about, and especially since I'm on the first floor.

I've called "Hire-a-Hubby" and a handyman is coming out to see if he can put a reinforcement on the outside of it. Its summer here now and it gets extremely hot and with no air conditioning you need the windows open.
Hubby as in husband? Or is it another word for handyman like thongs are for flip-flops?

If it's the first one, that's such a great company name!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashka
a handyman is coming out to see if he can put a reinforcement on the outside of it.
that seems the best solution if your landlord allows you to screw something into the window frame on the outside. there's a kind of a retainer clip that you put a couple on each side of the frame, and it holds the screen in. you could easily do it yourself if you have a drill and a ladder.

even something as simple as screws and washers if you can't find the clips.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:49 PM

I am gonna wet myself! Hire-a-Hubby.....You will have to ask the guy who named the company?

Are you going to have fix all the screens while he is there?
My cats love to go to different windows.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:16 PM

there is a product that you can buy at places like Home Depot and maybe even pet store...they are adjustable screens that lock into your window. You don't have to remove your permenant screen, but when you open your window you fit the adjustable screen in the window and then pull the glass down to where it fits snug...it's like a double reinforcement screen. I think they are called Safety Screens. My client that uses them said she thinks they are seasonal and you would find them in the window section of Home Depot. Hope that helps you some!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah - Hubby as in husband. Its a great name for a company. They do all the odd jobs that you need a handman for.

I've solved the problem. I'm getting a security screen type of thingy made to put on the window from the inside which is removable so in winter I can take it off.

He'll be able to watch all the birdies fly past during the day now. He loves it up there.

Thanks for all the replies. I love reading this forum everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page