Help, aggresive Siamese Male - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Help, aggresive Siamese Male

Hi. New to this forum. I need help ASAP or will be forced to take the cat to the shelter. Gordon is 13 month Seal point male who was given up due to his previous family was military and required to move out of country.
He is beautiful and very affectionate to the point of being needy in the sense he is always around me when I come home, always on my lap and sleeping with us at night, he never leaves my side. That's not a problem but what is the problem is his behavior towards my fiancee. He cuddles with her to, when I'm not there, otherwise he always picks me (one owner cat) but every once in a while he will out of nowhere leap up at her and scratch or bite her. This usually occurs when she is heading down the stairs when he bats at her feet (sharp claws) and she verbally repremands him with a NO! Then he leaps at her and she's all scratched up. I'm assuming he finds her as a threat to his relationship with me. He can be very loving to her as well which makes this all the more confusing. Last week he bit her and 30 seconds later crawled onto her lap and was purring away.
I'd hate to get rid of him and I'm very attached but my fiancee's safety comes first. Please help, I have days before I am forced to get rid of him. Any help is appreciated.

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Cool Cat

You probably won't be able to change his behavior in a matter of days. Some of this sounds like play aggression, and might be helped by intense interactive play sessions every day. It sounds like Gordon doesn't like being yelled at, either, as it sounds like that's what's triggering his serious aggression, so your fiancee will need to find a different way to correct him when he bats at her (and that situation may be gradually helped by play therapy). You can find some very good articles on how to do play therapy in the free article section at www.littlebigcat.com.

Also, you can trim his claws so they aren't so sharp, or use a product called "Soft Paws" (little plastic caps that are glued onto the claws) might help minimize the damage in the short term, while you work on the play aggression.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

ttt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Premier Cat

My cat went thru a stage that he ran up and bit my feet too. It was playing but it really hurt. I sharply said no to him and he eventually quit but it took some time. He still runs out and grabs my legs as play.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Cat Addict

You've already recieved pretty good advice. Please have patience, as it doesn't seem to be a problem that can be resolved in days. (Although those softpaws will really help. (http://www.softpaws.com) Relax though, the problem won't take years to resolve either.

How was his living situation previously? Did he have other cats and/or dogs to play with in his old household?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Being a cat psychologist could be good money...

I'm by no means a pro. I just happen to have two Sealpoint Siamese kittens (soon 10 months old) and I have not noticed this behaviour in either of them. But they can play as much as they like with each other. Siamese HATES to be alone, even for 2 minutes. They get VERY upset if you leave them. So... what I'm thinking is that it might be that this little guy might be depressed and yes, he can also be jealous of your girlfriend, because you're not home with him during the days and then when she shows up, you pay her attention instead of him.

So maybe you could pay more attention to what this guy need. Does he need more playtime with you, so he's more willing to share you with your girlfriend? Or do you might find a way to keep him company during the days, so he doesn't get so obsessive when he finally has his human at home? Maybe save a kitten from a shelter to keep him company?

Also... involve your girlfriend in this guys life, so he might not feel that she's a threat but part of HIS family. Have her treat him some goodies, play with him, etc. Let him know that she cares about him.

I don't think there's some single solutions that will resolve the problem right away, but if you can find out WHY he's acting like he does, then it'll be much easier to find a longterm solution in the end, which lets you enjoy your cat and your girlfriend, plus that your cat and your girlfriend are on good terms.

Good luck!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:57 AM

I own a blue point Siamese, he is now 1.5 years old. I know he prefers me over my boyfriend any day, but he has never acted really aggressively towards my boyfriend. Siamese are clingy cats to begin with, they can be jealous and they usually pick one person who they will love the most. It could be that your cat just has a bigger jealous streak than others. Has your fiancee lived with you since you got the cat? My boyfriend and I were living together when we got Maleke, so he grew up with both of us around....but picked me. You could try nail caps for him so that he can't scratch your fiancee anymore, or just trim his nails more often. My guess would be jealousy though, it sounds like when you are home he wants you all to himself. Your fiancee should keep telling him NO firmly, and maybe get up and walk away from him when he does something bad. When he is being good, she could give him some treats....since cats usually relate food to something positive. Good luck!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Padunk
(Although those softpaws will really help. (www.softpaws.com)
Thanks Rob for posting the Softpaws. I was looking for that website and couldnt remember the name of the product!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Cool Cat

I'm still sticking by the play aggression theory. From the sound of it, Gordon is ambushing the fiancee when she walks down the stairs and whacking her on the ankles, with the full-out attack coming when he's reprimanded. It really sounds to me like he doesn't have enough of an outlet for his hunting/play drive, so the fiancee has become a big cat toy.

I think the soft paws will help keep her safer in the short run, and some intensive play therapy will help the cat get his desire to hunt and kill out without attacking ankles.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I plan to stop by this morning and get "Da bird" (a toy feather bird mounted to a stick and string) and engage him daily in play. hope this helps. Again thanks.

Here's a pic of him.

[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page