Are house hold pet cats like lions in a way - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Are house hold pet cats like lions in a way

Around my area, we have a lot of cats, and i was just wondering if cats are in a paticular pride/group around the area.

the only thing i can see in common between the two, is defending their territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Feral cats, according to experts, (and even house cats) have a lot in common with the big cats, their hunting habits, etc. Feral cats have a matriarchal society, with aunts often baby-sitting other kittens. Feral males sometimes kill the kittens to make sure they remain dominant. Some of the programs on educational tv are very interesting, and many are produced by the BBC. Try to find one.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Re: Are house hold pet cats like lions in a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico
between the two, is defending their territory.
They also sleep most of the day

Umm, like Jeanie said, feral cats form colonies, which can serve similar purposes to lion prides. Cats tend to be solo animals, but lions live together out of a need to survive - couldn't do it alone because the territory is so vast, and the prey so sparse. I could see it working in a similar way for feral colonies in rural areas, because they'd be able to hunt. In the cities, I think there are groups of ferals because there's noowhere for them to go - they can't all go out and stake claims to their own territories, so they just stick together. Not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
One of the programs by the BBC concerned barn cats. Evidently, they also cooperate in the care of the kittens. The house cat and big cats had more in common than not. In fact, that was the main theme in the program.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page