The Herd's Number Going Up By One?(Updt) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The Herd's Number Going Up By One?(Updt)

It's possible. Had a stray on the porch tonight that I haven't seen before. Looks like some sort of pointed w/dark face and striped tail. Colors are creamed coffee with dark chocolate points. Looks like it's maybe a year old.
Had the front door open and heard someone meow. Looked and initially thought it was Powder, but everyone else was looking at it too, so I got up to get a closer look. Wasn't Powder. The strange thing is that Nimbus was very close to it (she HATES everyone here lately) and not growling. Once I realized it was a newbie, I started talking to it. It kinda jogged away to the side of the drive and stopped. That's when all the little ones came out to get a closer look (since dad was out there to protect them ).
The newbie ended up circling the property about three times over the next 30 or so minutes. At one point, there was a line of about 8 cats following it around. As far as I know, none of mine tried to chase it away. Will let you all know what happens.

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:06 AM

Well, when you have 13, one more can't add too much more trouble, right? I'll kinda miss the "baker's dozen" though!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Stray was back today. Got a pic of it, but it's not very clear. Trying to get a clear pic of a stray or a true feral is like getting a clear one of a UFO

It was getting dark, but there it is. The stray is under the yellow arrow and Powder is under the red. They are sitting on an old tractor tire.

Interest in the newcomer is unquestionably high.

spike481

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

Looks like your cats have made friends w/ another!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Just another update.

Stray has been around a little every day. Today, it came up on the grass next to the drive and lay down and watched all the goings on. Didn't seem too upset with all the activity (all the little ones were out jumping for bugs and on each other). Eventually, it got up and moved back toward the old house. I tried getting closer to it. Got within about 20 feet before one of the Evil Twins went flying by and caused it to get up and trot over to the pine trees next door. It was dark by then and I got most everyone inside. I noticed the stray on the edge of the trees, so I sat down in a chair on the porch and waited. It came up from the side of the garage and toward the porch for the food we keep out there all the time. It stopped about ten feet away when it saw me in the chair. It just sat there. I started talking to it and at first it acted like it didn't hear me and I thought maybe it was deaf, but I snapped my fingers and it responded. It sat there with me for 5 minutes or so while I talked to it. Then something spooked it and it ran off.
I think it's getting more comfortable now. This is the same process we went through with Squirrel. Maybe by the end of the week I'll have it inside. I hope so because it looks like one of it's front feet might be hurt because it limps slightly
Anyway, wish me luck and I'll keep you updated.

spike481

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:53 PM

Aww, good luck! I hope this kitty comes to trust you enough that you can look after it and give it a good home!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Premier Cat

You are amazing. I think it is so wonderful this kitty found you. How are all the other cats responding ~ just ignoring~ its OK hes around ~ or I wish he leave?

I love the visual I have in my head from hearing your account of the kittys following him around the yard 3 times when he had first shown up!
Do keep us posted now Im hooked
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Sorry haven't updated this situation in a while. This stray left for a while after my last post. I thought that the large feral male that comes around had chased this one off. She came back about a week ago and has been coming onto the porch to feed at night.

Sorry the pic is out of focus...I guess the camera autofocused on the chimnea The flash didn't run her off Anyway, she later moved into the garage and evidently has quite a following.

Squirrel is on the far right, Bear is walking up to the stray, and Moo-Moo is waiting outside the door.

About 15 minutes after this picture was taken, the stray actually came in our front door, but got chased out by our Westie She'll be back, probably tonight. At least she feels comfortable enough to come in the door. She's been chased by that dog before, so I know she'll be back

spike481

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Banned

That might explain that email I got a couple days ago addressed to ALL CATS from someplace in Lower Alabama saying something about "COME ON DOWN!!! FREE FOOD!!!"

I thought it was just spam....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

That must've been that **** Eclaire. she was watching over my shoulder while I typed in my password Gotta change it again now

spike481

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page