Cat pooping everywhere - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Cat pooping everywhere

Hi my name is Maria and i am having some cat problems i have this cat i have had her since she was little. And i have been training her to use the litter box she started to use it but then for a while know she has not been wanting to use it and has been pooping all under the bassment stairs in this one storage room it is just filled with the poop, and know i think she is pooping up by the roof in the house in the bassment. If you have any suggestions or any advice please tell me all information will help and will be greatly appreciated. becuase if we can't fix the problem we are going to get rid of her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Jr. Cat

First of all- clean up all of the piles of poop! That's disqusting-- It's no wonder your cat isn't going in the litter box-she thinks the whole house is one big litter box!
Next, get a new litter box, and make sure you fill it with fresh litter--use the kind that she was originally using back when she was going in the box. Show her the litter and sit her in it every morning when she wakes up and after every meal. When she does have an "accident" don't scold her, simply move the poop off the floor, drop it in her litter box, and then sit her in the litter and help her bury it--then remove it so the litter box stays CLEAN. Sorry to say, but I think you are the one at fault here for not keeping her litter clean--would you want to poop in a toilet that had heaping piles of turds up to the rim? Well would you?

Good luck!

The Original Male Kitten.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM

Put a litter box in the storage room under the stairs....
I am not sure what you mean pooping by the roof...you mean in the
floor joists or in the attic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Re: Cat pooping everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover4ever04
.... has been pooping all under the bassment stairs in this one storage room it is just filled with the poop, and know i think she is pooping up by the roof in the house in the bassment.
Oh, that sounds nasty and unsanitary. I can't imagine the smell.

I second BoscosMum suggestion. Put a litterbox where she's pooping under the stairs, and please scoop every day, and wash the box every week. No one likes a dirty toilet. Hopefully that will stop her going to the roof (attic?). It sounds like she wants a little more privacy and quiet when going to the bathroom, and she's practically beating you over the head trying to tell you.

Good luck, and hope that resolves that problem.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Cat pooping everywhere

Well first of all i want to let everyone know that it is not my fault that she is doing this becuase i cleaned her litter box every day and i would not scoled her if she did an accident once i would pick it up and put it in her litter box. and yes i am in the middle of cleaning it all up and i am going to watch her as much as i can when she heads downstairs to see where she is going and if i catch her gonig under the steps i will pick her up and set her in the litter box, and plus after i clean it all up my dad is going to put boards under the steps so she cant get under there any more Well if anyone else has any more suggestions please tell me all the help would be greatly appreciated Thank You!!!!

Maria
AKA: AnimalLover4ever04
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:00 AM
Cool Cat

That's a good idea to block the area off where she goes. Then the best suggestion would be to put a box right there so when she attempts to get under the stairs to poop, there is a box ready for her.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:41 PM

Hi! What kind of litter are you using? If it has a strong scent, the cat may not like it. I suggest using Swheat litter. It is made of wheat and clumps naturally. Also, put more litter boxes around the house. This can help a lot. If you have a lid on your box, take it off. Many cats feel stuck like they can't escape with the hoods on top. Can you shut the door to the basement so the cat can't get down there? Are you putting the food too close to the box? Also some cats may have had a painful elimination and now connect the pain to the box and avoid it. Sometimes changing the position of the box helps the fear go away. Just some things to think about!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Cat pooping everywhere

Well no I am not using a really strong litter it is fresh step I have used it many times with my past cat she never had a problem with it and this cat i have know that has all the problems and she never had a problem with it she used it before many of times but all of a sudden she is not using it any more!!!!

Thank You,
Maria
AKA: AnimalLover4ever04
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Cool Cat

That's what happened with Barnaby though. He had no problem with the litter I was using for quite a while and then suddenly he started pooping out of the box occasionally. Eventually I changed to an unscented litter, but it still had a mild fragrance, and the problems continued until I found a litter that had absolutely no scent.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Cat pooping everywhere

So you really do think if i get a unscented litter it will help the problem? because like i said before my dad is over bored with needing to get ride of her!!!

AnimalLover4ever04*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page