Adopt a Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Adopt a Cat

Just had to tell you about this. I'm sure plenty rescue sentres do this but I still think it's great. My local helter has a special system for cats that can't be adopted maybe for medical or behavoural reasons so you can pay to help their upkeep. It doesn;t cost that much a year and you get pictures and regular letters and update. How cool is that rather than putting them down they go to long term fosterers.

recently my class raised some money in a wee activity and all the kids wanted to give the money to charity so it's going to the tsunami appeal. As a wee reward for their kindness I'm 'adopting' some cats for the class so we can have a pet friend to write to and to make them aware how to look after animals.

Such a cool idea for unadoptable kitties

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Jr. Cat

Am I wrong or am I thinking lab animals?

It sounds like you are adopting animals that are lab animals. Am I wrong?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 PM

Nooooo....it is animals who are too hard to find homes for, i.e with long-term medical problems or disease, or behavioural problems. If someone special comes along, they would still adopt them out.

Most of the UK charities have similar schemes.

Look here, this is an example of a nationwide UK charity that does a 'Sponsorship' scheme, it might give you a better insight into what Misty means...
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/sponsoradog ... ctureid=15

Ems x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Cool Cat

It sounds like standard cage sponsorship to me...I don't even know if the UK has "pound seizure" (as it's called in the US). A lot of shelters have animal sponsorship programs to help pay for the upkeep of unadoptables or animals that need extensive medical or behavioral rehab. Finding the Foster homes is the hard part.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Could you explain 'pound seizure'? Then I can tell you if we have it

Ems x
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Cool Cat

Pound seizure (in a nutshell) is when strays in shelters or pounds are ordered (usually by the governing municipality) to be turned over to a laboratory facility for testing use after they've been held a certain amount of time. It's illegal in my state and a few others, and many or most places leave it up to the discretion of local government and pound authorities.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 AM

Nope, that does not happen in the UK.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

This rescue has several long term foster mums (and dads). The cats just live in these houses as though they were pets. The cats that are in this adoption scheme have medical problems therefore making them an unlikely choice for someone to choose as their pet or perhaps they need special medical care. Rather than have these animals put down they can be 'adopted' they way you would a whale or tiger I know a few peple who are allergic to cats but love them, doing this. So they get letters and updates and even chrstmas cards from the cats. You can arrange to visit them in their foster homes.

I think I confused things by calling it a shelter. It's more pf a cat rescue centre.None of the rescue animals get kept in cages, they all go to foster homes. So when you go to get a kitty, you go to someone's house.

Claire x
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Cool Cat

I've been thinking that after Assumpta (which, hopefully, won't be for a long time yet) I would like to do cat hospice. I've seen so many cats come through who had to be euthanized because they were very sick, but they weren't quite ready to go yet, and I think there should be some way for cats like that to have a quiet, peaceful home for their last weeks or months, with minimal stress and supportive/uninvasive vet care.

Anyone ever seen a program like this? Just mulling it over right now, it can't possibly be an original idea, so someone must have done it before...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I think that is along the ideas of what the adopt a cat scheme is. Can I just say that you are a wonderful person to consider taking that on.

Claire x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page