Is my VET too Expensive!? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Is my VET too Expensive!?

I took my kitty to the vet yesterday for his initial wellness exam and his first round of shots and it was $127. Is that expensive or about normal?

All he had was: Initial Wellness Exam, Kitten Vaccine (1st of 3), Feline Leukemia/AIDS test, and a fecal flotation test.

Any information on the COST of vets would be helpful--this particular vet seems very expensive to me and I don't want to get ripped off..

Also, How much can I expect to pay to have a male cat neutered?

The Original Male Kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm sure others with more experience can be more informative, but that's close to what I pay (maybe a little more).

At my vet, the initial exam would be $50

Not sure what the "Kitten Vaccine" is, but if it's the combo distemper/FIV that would be about $20.

FeLeuk test is $20-30 (I think, memory foggy on this)

Fecal test is $10

So that's $100-$110.

I think I paid less than $100 for neuter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM

That sounds about right. Most vets in my area charge around $40 for an office visit. I paid $50 for each cat to be tested for feline leukemia. Fecals usually run about $15-$20, and if I remember correctly, the first round of kitten shots was about $15 too. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:31 PM

I guess I can't be much help as I am in the UK, but if you can translate the currency it will give you some idea of what you'd expect to pay here at a GOOD vets.

Our clients pay £53 for the initial vaccination course, that price includes a full health check and the whole course of injections. We do not perform the other things you mentioned unless requested. So....if you got all that done in my practice, you'd be looking at....

£53 - vaccinations/check
£30 - fiv/felv test
£10-£30 - faecal test, depending on what tests were being carried out
£15 (ish) - flea and worming preventative

So all in all, for all you have recieved you'd probably pay around £100 GBP so that bill you got sounds about right. Does hat bill cover the 2nd & 3rd injections, or will there be extra to pay?

Oh, and in my practice we charge £30 to castrate a male cat, though there are cheaper alternatives for people on selective benefits/low incomes.

Hope this helped in any way...

Ems x
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Jr. Cat

You can get it cheaper.....

It depends where you live. In the U.S. you can get a cat fixed cheap if you are low income. Also I payed about $90 for all that was done and for the next booster shot the office charge was free. If you need info on cheap neutering please ask.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:36 PM

As a sidenote, how much do people usually pay for a full bloodwork panel?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:38 PM

Here, you'd pay £30 for Biochemistry, £50 to have Haematology as well.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen

So all in all, for all you have recieved you'd probably pay around £100 GBP so that bill you got sounds about right. Does hat bill cover the 2nd & 3rd injections, or will there be extra to pay?
There will be more to pay for both of his follow up shots! The vet told me they have to be 3 weeks apart. Thats why it seems like so much to me.

The Original Male Kitten.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM

Hmm, in that case I guess it is expensive...here you pay the full amount at the 1st vaccination, and we give 2 injections 2-3 weeks apart. What will you be expected to pay at the 2nd & 3rd appointments?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:49 PM

I used to work for Petsmart, so we take our cats to Banfield, which is the vet right in the store. My husband's not real keen on them cause he says every time we go in they have a different vet. Never the same one. I think you'll find that almost anywhere you go. Not always, but it does happen.

Banfield has a thing where if you come in for vaccines between the hours of 2-4 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays they will waive the office fee. A checkup is part of that cost, but if you're doing leukemia tests, blood tests, etc, then yes you will pay more. This is a possibility if you live near a Petsmart. We pay about $50 for our 2 for their rabies/distemper. When we first got them we had rabies/distemper and leukemia tests done and I think it was roughly $100.

Also, I'm sure as any other vet, Banfield offers pet insurance where you pay 'x' amount per month per pet, but it covers anything your pet might need done. Teeth cleaning, xrays, bloodwork, surgeries, etc. Some people say it will save you lots of money and others say it's not worth it cause how often do our cats get sick or need surgeries? Sometimes it's cheaper to pay for the surgery up front then to spend $200 or $300 a year for insurance.

Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page