Questions about soft paws - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Questions about soft paws

I am considering getting soft paws for Charlie, my ever eager furniture and ankle attacker. I have a few questions though, for those who have used them. Or er....used them on their cat, that is.

I understand that the caps are glued on. This is to their natural nail I assume. How do you make the nail protrude so that you can glue them on? I know that you can push on their toes and make their nails extend, but for some reason this doesn't work well on Charlie. I can't seem to get his nail to peek out. So would the soft paws be too long for his nails? He sure doesn't have a problem digging them into the couch or our legs so I know they're there, lol. Just hoping that this will help protect the house full of new furniture we bought last year. Can they chew the caps off easily? Knowing Charlie, that is the first thing he'd try for. I'm hoping that these can be of help while I'm training him not to claw where he isn't supposed to. Any suggestions or experiences, please share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
At first, you may need to replace them more often than normal until your cat learns to accept them.

Where are you pressing on his foot? Before I really got to know my cat I always thought you pressed on the center pad and they all stuck out (kinda how it looks from far away anyway). Its hard to describe, but if you hold one finger slightly under the nail, and press the other right where it bends at its highest, you can bend the toe flat and the nail should come out.

If anything, you can always go to your vet or someone who has used soft paws before and they can show you how to put them on (and put on the first set for you )

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jessie. I press towards the beginning on the nail bed, on the underside, if that makes sense. It's worked on my previous kitties, but he's a toughie. I'm sure that I'm just missing something with him, I'll play with his toes tonight and see if I can figure it out. He goes in to be neutered on the 21, maybe I'll bring a package of the soft paws along for the vet to help. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

there's a picture here of how to press on the "finger" to get the claw to extend:

http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Tim, I appreciate it!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:27 AM

yeah! the vet will put them on for you!

i heard they make them in fun colors too

they're like lee press on nails for felines!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:14 PM

Otis wore Soft Paws for the better part of the year (blue ones to match his collar...). That stopped when Jazz came along - she wouldn't let me get close to her nails then and it was too much hassle to get it done at the vets all the time, so I just fell out of the habit which was too bad, since Jazzy looked regal with her purple toes...), and as Otis' fell off never bothered replacing them. I still think they're a wonderful product, though...

I found that the glue bonded quickly, and my cats never had a problem chewing them off. Occassionally one would fall off quickly if I hadn't put it on, but the glue held them well and Otis would become bored of them in a couple of minutes and forget they were there...

You'd want to get the nails extruding most of the way out before putting them on - otherwise the glue gets on the fur around the toes, and that just sticks, and I would assume would bother a cat a lot more than the actual nails would. When i first got Otis', I bought them in conjunctiion with a regular vet visit. The vet gave me some tips, and we dry fitted them over his nails in the office soI could see how it was done and we could make sure they were the proper size before bringing them home... Most places will return them if you've just dry fitted so long as the glue is not opened...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page