water fountain advice requested - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

water fountain advice requested

I'd like to get a fresh water fountain for my kitties. I have three, and I'd like one I don't have to refill more than once a day. Can you give me some advice on what you think is the best and why? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Premier Cat

I have a Fresh Flow pet fountain. Having only one cat I only refill every 2-3 days. I think even with three cats you shouldn't have to refill more than once a day. I also take apart and clean it a couple of times a week. Cat hair tends to end up floating around and it just gets slimy.
One other note, we use filtered water, which seems to help it stay cleaner.
Good luck, I bet your kitties will love it a fountain!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM

I have the Hagen cat-it water fountain for my four - they all loved it instantly.

With the four of them, I fill it once every two days - it holds 3l of water in the dome plus close to another litre in the bowls.
I take it apart and clean it once a week and just rinse the parts when I am refilling.

It doesn't get so slimy and hair filled as it has two sets of filters, one for the water going up into the dome and one close to the actual bowl to catch anything the kitties throw in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

icklemiss - with the Hagen fountain, in the picture of it I found online, it looked like it was sitting on some kind of mat. is that part of the setup, or not? it looked like the picture you had embedded in your post didn't have that. (I don't think I want it, as it will sit directly on the kitchen floor). also...your picture shows food in what appears to be an attached dish. again the same question: is that part of it or not? reason I have so many questions: this model is not sold in a local petstore, and I would have to order it online.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM

The extra food bowl comes with it, but just clips on so if you don't want it, just throw it away. I don't use mine, except when I fill it with breath freshener and then I attach it for an hour or so until I make sure that they all drink a little to keep their breaths sweet.

The mat is sold separately, and is about $15-$20. Some places I have seen online sell it with the mat. I bought the mat a while back because our floor is really uneven and it was sitting strangely, but other than that I wouldn't bother.

I would recommend not getting the economy fountain if you don't want to fill it all the time as it holds a lot less water. Also there is a dog-it one in red (which is the exact same as the cat-it just a different colour, sometimes it is easier to find the filters for the dog-it, but they are the exact same!)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks, icklemiss, it's good to know that info and that little tip.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM

I use freshflow also. Kiera loves it!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Kitten

I also have a Freshflow type fountain. Sometimes the pump will pump the water a little too high and it will leak.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Lori - the info I have on the Fresh Flow fountain says it has a filter. Yet you mention cat hair & stuff that dirties the water. Doesn't the filter take care of that stuff? Thanks...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:04 PM

We also have a Petmate FreshFlow fountain here, and the kitties love it. For my four, there's plenty of water to last them for days if I wanted, without needing the reservoir. There is a filter that catches most of the dirt and fur, but there's constantly new hair showing up in the drinking area, and the kitties also like to dunk their toys in there too.

I change out the water every day, and wash the whole thing once a week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page