Any ideas to help Cat Allergies? (the human kind) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Any ideas to help Cat Allergies? (the human kind)

My husband is allergic to cats. I am too, but not as bad as him.
In all honesty sometimes I think I shouldn't have gotten Belfour. But I also realize that if I hadn't he most likely would have been euthanized because he is a special needs cat. So here we are. His allergies have been improved based on two things, a new medication (which has helped him in all areas like when we go to a place with a dog he no longer has big asthma attacks) and time. I think that he has grown accostomed to Belfour as have I. I still get a runny nose & itchy eyes from time to time. But not like before we had a cat.
We have been using something called Allergy Be Gone which was a spray that you spray, let it dry & vacuum up. It really made a big difference in the house. The only problem is it is so expensive, and I have to buy it from the US. We also have an air purifier which has helped too (in one room).
Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I am really torn as I love both my guys, but don't want either of them to be very uncomfortable. They are both comfortable now, but I still want to make things the best they can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:54 AM

Brush your cat so less fur is spread around the house.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:25 AM

If you have carpeting throughout your house....invest in a Dyson vacuum cleaner......you will simply be amazed at what you vacuum out of your carpet the first few times you use this machine!
It is UNREAL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 PM

I know your struggles, I have severe animal allergies. When I was a kid we could never have cats, we only had dogs. I had bronchitis at least 5 times a year and I was always sick. When I moved out on my own, I was never sick. I had my allergies retested last year and found out that I am now allergic to dogs. My parents have a dog and a cat and when I go there it takes 10 minutes for my allergies and asthma to kick in. I can’t visit for long periods of time. They also smoke and live in a very old house with very old carpet.

We adopted Tasha in October 2004. My husband is a huge cat lover, so I decided to give it a shot. Then we got Angel in November. The first couple weeks were awful. My husband gave Tasha a bath and we bought Allergy Wipes from the Pet Store for the cat to clean her down. I was better after that. Then when we brought Angel home, I got sick again. We haven’t given her a bath but she gets wipe downs too. Both cats do every 2 weeks or so. I also brush them at least once a month.

What I have determined works for me is:

A very clean house. We don’t have any carpet, my parents do, and I think that makes things easier.

Keeping my cats indoors. I have many allergies, indoor/outdoor animals tend to make me sicker.

Since I let the cats in the bedroom, I have to change the sheets every week. If I don’t, like this past weekend, I start waking up sick, bad asthma and sneezing. I may consider keeping them out of the bedroom, since they hardly ever go in there anymore.

I have 2 comforters, I rotate changing them every month.

I refuse to take needles so I only use my inhaler and antihistamines when I get really bad. I am trying to get my system used to it without resorting to meds.

I have an air purifier right beside my side of the bed.

I keep a blanket on each couch at night, where the cats sleep, so I can wash them frequently and there is less cat hair and dandruff on the furniture.

My allergies let me know when the cats need wiping down and when the house needs dusting.

When we adopted Angel, her hair was really coarse. I feed my cats the best dry food I can find and whatever meat we eat for supper. If it is chicken I add flax oil or olive oil. Fish has its own good natural oil. I think a good diet makes a big difference. Angel’s hair is getting better all the time.

We are bringing home another cat on Saturday, when I went to the foster home I almost died of an asthma attack! None of the cats there had nice fur, including the one I am adopting. I guarantee I will be sick when we bring him home until he can get a good bath and good food.

It will never be easy for you husband, it isn’t for me, but because my husband is so willing to be supportive and help keep the home and cats clean, I am willing to keep trying. I know other people who have cat allergies and after awhile, like me, you get used to your own cats.

Good Luck

Samantha
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those tips!
I think I will move the purifier next to his side of the bed.

We do a few of what you mentioned, I clean & vacuum a lot. I know if his asthma acts up it is mainly because I haven't vacuumed in a few days.

I think the biggest issue is the carpeting. When we visited my mom who has 2 cats living with her. He had no problems at all. He didn't use his inhaler once. I attributed it to her hardwood floors. We are renting at the moment so we will have to just wait it out for now. But I really think that is a huge problem with the allergies.

I will also try to wash the duvets more. I think I get to them about every 2 months. Maybe I will try a more frequent change of them. Thanks for those tips!

One last Q: What types of wipes do you use? We have some but I don't know if they work that great.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Seriously....please consider investing in a Dyson...you wont regret it.
You could check on Ebay for a good price.
Another idea....change the furnace filter more often too!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:59 PM

I live in rental too. The carpets were so old that we pulled them up, without permission I might add. SO don't try that!. We live in a townhouse that is flexible with doing your own renovations. we had hardwood underneath and crappy tile. The tile is being replaced this week, yeah!

I will let you know about he wipes when I get home.

Samantha
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I have thought about a Dyson (even previously), but we can't afford one now. So until then, the cheaper alternatives will have to work
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:07 PM

One thing I know for sure.....I purchased the Dyson Animal...which is the purple one. If I could do it over...I would buy the Yellow Dyson and save over $100 dollars....the vacuum cleaner itself is exactly the same.
I have just about never used the extra attachments and the cleaning solution (I will never use)....so I was jipped for an extra 140 dollars or so.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

What is the Dyson Animal? Is it supposed to be better for cleaning up a house with animals? Hence the attachments?

Although a purple vacuum would be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page