moving and cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

moving and cats

I might be taking a job 24+ hours away. We'd be driving our cars there, so I'm wondering about my boys and that much time in the car. Any advice or recommendations? We'd obviously be stopping and staying overnight at a hotel at least one night. I'm worried about them being in their carriers for that long. Has anyone done this before? THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 PM

I haven't myself, but my bf's brother just moved to Florida with his cat. He made the drive over 3 days instead of driving straight through or just stopping the one night to make sure Ringo wasn't cooped up too long. He also let him out of the carrier on a leash to wander around the car and use one of those disposable litter trays that he had on the floor of his car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

great ideas! thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:15 PM

If your car will accomodate it, it is worth investing in a dog crate. That way, the cats can comfortably have beds, litter tray and bowls. Just make sure you cover the crate with a sheet or something if you leave them unsupervised, and if possible don't leave them out in the car in the street in case they get stolen.

Please don't leave them without water for any amount of time, you can get those non-spill travelling bowls now. Oh, and please think of how hot/cold a closed up car can be for them.

Good luck, Ems
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:02 PM

Here's some great tips in these threads:

400 mile roadtrip
Traveling with cats
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 AM

I moved from Michigan to Flordia in July. Here is the original thread I started before I moved
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5566&highlight=

This is kind of long.....but I hope it helps.

It was supposed to be a 24 hour trip. It turned into 48 hours (almost to the minute). I travelled with three cats, a puppy and a turtle. At the time my puppy was small enough to fit into a carrier. The same size my largest cat has. The entire back seat of my car was lined and stacked with carriers Everytime we stopped people were coming up asking "what do you have in there?" I wanted to make the trip straight and did not plan on stopping, but we ran into car problems, etc and ended up having to stop after we past the first 24 hours!!

My oldest cat was the one I was worried about and she made it here fine. She spent the first few hours crying. The first time I went to get her out of the carrier she was panting and had drool running from her mouth. I was really upset and nervous. She eventually calmed down and the next time we stopped she had no drool!! My other two were a little vocal for the first half hour or so, but then they calmed down. They all actually slept quite a bit. We stopped every few hours to let the puppy go to the bathroom and let the cats out. It basically went like this.......

Stop wherever we were going to stop. Unload all the carriers. Unload litter box from trunk. Take turtle from box in car, put in water container in trunk. Take water dish out of trunk. Put litter box in backseat. Take one cat into car. Offer them litter box. They each used the litter box one time the entire time we were on the road!!! I had took away food and water prior to leaving (I forget how many hours). Put cat back in carrier, offer water (none of the drank at all while on the road). Repeat process with each cat. While I was doing this my BF was taking the puppy to the bathroom and giving him water. We did this for over 24 hours.

My friends were driving the truck pulling the trailer and they decided they couldn't drive anymore. I was terrified about stopping at a hotel with the cats. I was worried they would get hurt, get fleas or something. We stopped and the room had a very small bathroom. There was no way all the cats were going to fit in there! I gave them the whole room. It was kind of funny they were lounging around like they owned the place I did have one problem...Zoee decided she was going to crawl into a hole in the box spring. We just ripped off all the batting on the bottom of the box spring to avoid that happening again. They all ate, drank and used the litter box while we were at the hotel.

The next morning everyone got loaded back into the carriers and into the car. Zoee cried for a while...AGAIN, but no drooling or panting! The other two basically laid down and went to sleep. We repeated the same procedures as the day before, stopping every few hours. They once again would not drink or use the litter box.

Eventually we made it here!! I think they were so excited to be out of the carriers that they didn' even care they were in a new house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page